Here’s the printable recipe from the “Tuscan Bean Soup” episode that was recently published on my YouTube channel. The soup is as colorful as it is healthy and delicious. Furthermore, it’s lightning-fast to make — just 30 minutes from start to finish. Hungry? This beautiful brew will satisfy your soul:
Click the “play” arrow above to watch the soup come together right before your eyes. Then scroll down for culinary notes and the printable recipe:
Recipe Notes for Tuscan Bean Soup
To vegan-ize the soup, simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock in the recipe.
A note for wine lovers. Replace up to 50% of the chicken (or vegetable) stock with dry white wine.
Can’t find cannellini beans at your market? Use Northern beans or Navy beans.
A note for the “I-never-use-canned-beans” crowd. Go ahead of cook your own beans from dried.
And here, as promised, is the printable recipe:
Tuscan Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, roughly diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 2 15.5 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Baby arugula leaves -- about 4 cups
- Optional for serving: A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a scattering of shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart soup pot or Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery, carrots, and salt. Then lower the heat, cover the pot, and let the vegetables sweat until the carrots are fairly tender -- about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, black pepper, cannellini beans, stock, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then lower the heat, partially cover the pot, and let simmer quietly for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the arugula leaves, and stir just until the leaves wilt -- about 30 seconds. Taste carefully for seasonings, adding more salt and/or pepper if desired.
- To serve: Give each serving a drizzle of high-quality extra virgin olive oil and a scattering of shredded Parmesan cheese.