I made this Turkey and Sweet Potato Pie the other day, and it was love at first bite. Below a golden blanket of mashed, cinnamon-scented sweet potato is a satisfying symphony of ground turkey, leek, tomato paste, and peas. Need a comforting dinner dish that you can make ahead of time and bake off at your leisure? Here’s the recipe:
To watch me make, bake, and serve this Turkey and Sweet Potato Pie, click on the video above. In the same video, I will make my soon-to-be-famous Parsley Salad. It’s the perfect accompaniment to the pie!
Turkey and Sweet Potato Pie
For the sweet potato topping:
- 3 Lbs. (1.4kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (for the cooking water)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- A generous teaspoon of ground cinnamon
For the turkey mixture:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium leek, roughly diced
- 1 1/2 Lbs. (680g) ground turkey
- A generous pinch of salt, plus grinds of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons plain tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons garlic paste (or 3 cloves of minced garlic)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine, such as Sauvignon blanc
- 1 cup frozen peas
Making the sweet potato topping:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. When the water boils, add the salt and the sweet potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are definitely tender -- usually 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them to the pot. Add the butter and cinnamon, and then mash the potatoes to a smooth puree. Set aside while you make the turkey mixture.
Making the turkey mixture:
- Tip the olive oil and chopped leek into a skillet set over medium heat. Sauté until the leek begins to soften -- about 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey, and cook, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula, until browned and cooked through -- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, tomato paste, garlic paste, chicken stock, and wine. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until the liquids in the skillet reduce slightly -- about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in the frozen peas.
Assembling and baking the pie:
- Transfer the turkey mixture to a 2 quart baking dish. Top with the sweet potatoes. Bake in the preheated oven until the sweet potato "crust" caramelizes slightly -- 25-30 minutes.