I love Huevos Rancheros. I love the crisp corn tortilla base. I love the spicy black bean center. I love the colorfully-garnished egg that sits on top. Do you love what I love? Here’s the recipe for this Mexican magic that comes together in about 15 minutes:
Tip! To watch me make this deliciousness in real time, check out my video “Valentine’s Vlog: Arranging Flowers and Making Huevos Rancheros” on YouTube. Click here to watch.
Ingredients for Huevos Rancheros
Crispy corn tortillas – You can find crispy fried corn tortillas in the Mexican section of most supermarkets. Or, you can buy plain corn tortillas and fry them yourself in oil.
Beans – Use the variety you like or happen to have on hand. I use canned black beans, which I first rinse in water and then drain.
Salsa – I use a “medium” version of jarred salsa picante. You may prefer a hot or mild version.
Seasonings – Salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Cumin gives the bean mixture a little kick without making it “hot.”
Eggs – Fry these any way you like. I prefer sunny-side up, while Mr. Fox prefers over-easy.
Toppings – Crumbled Queso Fresco (or the cheese of your choice), diced, seeded tomato, and roughly-chopped cilantro (coriander). Queso fresco is generally available in the cheese department at most supermarkets.
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa picante
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 4 large eggs, fried to your liking
- Queso Fresco cheese, diced, seeded tomato, coarsely chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Stir together the beans, salsa picante, salt, pepper, and ground cumin in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Heat just until the mixture is warm throughout -- 1 or 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and mash the mixture with a potato masher. Spread the mixture over the 4 corn tortillas.
- Fry the eggs to your liking -- sunny side up or over easy. Place one egg on top of each tortilla.
- Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Queso Fresco, a spoonful of diced tomato, and a shower of chopped cilantro. Enjoy hot or warm. I like to serve lime juice-drenched avocado slices as a side for my Huevos Rancheros.
Yum! I prefer to cook the eggs poached in salsa… soooooo delicious! And home fried tortillas are the best. Thanks for sharing!
Carol H. says
Yum! A flavorful recipe. I substituted pinto beans and I like my eggs over-easy. Thanks for sharing.
Danna R. Wilson says
Good early morning,
Question, I have not hard an update on Binkey. How is he doing. Would love to see pictures and or video.
Have a great day and enjoy your vidoes.