Last updated on January 17th, 2021
Linguine with Mushrooms and Kale. I made this colorful symphony for dinner last night, and mama mia! — my taste buds did a happy dance. Fresh lemon juice brightens the works and eliminates any bitterness from the greenery. And should I mention that the dish comes together in about 15 minutes? Here’s the recipe in both video and printable formats:
Linguine with Mushrooms and Kale: The Video Directions
Thank you for watching the video. I love to cook up delicious storms with you!
A Few Notes
A note about the pasta. Feel free to swap out the linguine for the pasta of your choice. Just don’t overcook it. Soggy pasta is dreadful pasta!
A note about the mushrooms. I used “baby ‘bella” mushrooms in my Linguine with Mushrooms and Kale. Regular white button mushrooms will work as well. You can buy both types already sliced at most supermarkets — a big time-saver.
A note about the kale. The small, curly-leaved kale displayed in the video was grown by The Berry Farm in Chatham, NY. Baby kale leaves from the supermarket (usually sold in plastic tubs) are as good.
Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
And here, for easy reference, is the printable recipe:
Linguine with Mushrooms and Kale
- 16 ounces linguine (or the pasta of your choice)
- butter and olive oil -- a generous tablespoon of each
- 12-16 ounces mushroom (baby 'bella or common button), sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper -- a generous pinch of each
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste or 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 8-12 ounces baby kale leaves, stems removed if tough
- The juice of 1 lemon
- red pepper flakes -- a dash or to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a full boil. When the water boils, add a tablespoon of salt. Then add the pasta and cook just until al dente -- 9 minutes for linguine.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and oil to the skillet. When the butter melts, add the mushrooms and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Saute until the mushrooms are brown and most of their liquid has escaped -- about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for just 30-60 seconds.
- Add the kale to the skillet, plus 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Then cover the skillet, and let the kale steam until it barely wilts -- about 1 minute. Then stir in the lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Drain the pasta, and add to the skillet mixture. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and stir gently to combine. Divide among 4 plates and enjoy!