Crispy Mayonnaise Chicken Thighs came to me quite by accident. I’d intended to coat some thighs with mustard and breadcrumbs, until I looked and discovered…no mustard in my pantry or fridge. But there was plenty of mayonnaise on hand, so I used that for the breadcrumb “glue.” And thus a fabulous new recipe was born! New to me, anyway. Perhaps you’ve been mayo-ing your chicken this way for years, and just forgot to tell me about it.
Wanna watch me make this crunchy goodness in real time? Click the “play” arrow above. Otherwise, just proceed to the photographic step-by-step below:
To start, put some mayonnaise in a bowl (to avoid contaminating the whole jar).
Next, grab your favorite brand of seasoned breadcrumbs, and put them in a bowl.
I used 4C gluten-free breadcrumbs for this recipe, and, to my surprise, they worked out beautifully. The coarse crumbs produced a ton of crunch. They were perfectly seasoned, too, and not overly salty. I use the same crumbs for gluten-free Black Bean Burgers.
Arrange some small (i.e., free-range) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs on a baking sheet (I lined my sheet with foil for easy clean up)…
And pat them dry with paper towels.
Then put a dollop (a generous tablespoonful) of mayonnaise atop each thigh…
And spread it out with the back of the spoon.
Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs…
And use the back of a spoon to push the crumbs into the mayonnaise.
Bake on the center rack of a preheated 425°F oven until the breadcrumbs brown and the chicken registers 165°F when poked with a digital thermometer — about 30 minutes for free-range thighs. Monster-size thighs from factory farmed chickens may require extra oven time.
Crispy Mayo Chicken Thighs are uber crunchy on the outside, and moist and tender on the inside. Don’t make me beg you to try them!
Here’s the printable:
Crispy Mayonnaise Chicken Thighs
- A baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil, if you wish, for easy clean up)
- Mayonnaise -- a generous tablespoon for each thigh
- Dry, seasoned breadcrumbs (gluten-free works well here) -- a generous tablespoon for each thigh
- Small- to medium-size bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs -- as many as you want
- Center the oven rack, and preheat the oven to 425°F. Put the mayonnaise and the breadcrumbs in separate bowls to avoid contaminating their containers.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Spoon a dollop of the mayonnaise on each thigh, and spread it out with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs, and then press them down with the back of a spoon to glue them in place.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the breadcrumbs turn deep golden brown, and the chicken registers 165°F when poked with an instant-read thermometer -- about 30 minutes.