Last updated on September 29th, 2019
Mr. Fox is on a low-carb diet, so I’ve been experimenting with all kinds of gluten-free, “keto”-type recipes. Yesterday, for instance, I made Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan. The dish was so incredibly delicious that I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you. Here it is, in both video and step-by-step formats:
Click the “play” arrow to watch the video. Then scroll down the step-by-step and printable recipes:
Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
Crack two large eggs into a pie plate, and brutally beat them.
In another pie plate, add 3 ounces (1 1/2 cups) pork panko. As mentioned in the above video, pork panko contains ZERO carbs. If you’re not worried about carbs, go ahead and substitute ordinary breadcrumbs (or ordinary panko) for the pork stuff.
To the panko, add garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and finely-grated Parmesan cheese (exact measurements are in the printable recipe below).
Use your impeccably clean fingers to mix the panko ingredients.
One at a time, dip thinly-sliced chicken cutlets in the beaten egg…
And then in the panko. Press down on each cutlet to insure the panko sticks.
Transfer the breaded cutlets to a baking sheet…
Drizzle ’em with olive oil…
And bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
Spoon some ordinary tomato sauce over the cutlets…
And top them off with a not-too-heavy sprinkling of Mozzarella cheese!
Return the works to the oven, and bake just until the cheese melts — 2-5 minutes.
Garnish the chicken with a chiffonade of basil, and serve over sauced spaghetti or linguine. Or, if you are on a low-carb diet like Mr. Fox currently is, just accompany the chicken with some lightly-dressed salad greens.
I hope you’ll give this Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan a try. It’s wonderful to eat, and oh, so easy to make.
Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
And heeeere’s the printable:
Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 ordinary pie plates (or shallow bowls)
- A baking sheet, greased OR lined with baking parchment
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces (1 1/2 cups) pork panko
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 thin-sliced chicken breast cutlets
- 1/2 cup (or slightly more) tomato sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese -- enough for a modest sprinkling over each cutlet
- Garnish: basil leaves cut into thin strips
- Center the oven rack; preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs in a pie plate. In a separate pie plate, combine the panko, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip each cutlet first in the beaten eggs, then in the panko mixture. Press down on each cutlet to insure the panko adheres. Transfer the cutlets to a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle the cutlets with a little extra-virgin olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is done and the panko crisps and browns slightly -- usually 20 minutes. Don't overcook the chicken!
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spoon a tablespoon or two of the tomato sauce over each cutlet, and spread it out with the back of the spoon. Then dust each cutlet with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Return the chicken to the oven, and let bake just until the cheese melts -- 2-5 minutes. Garnish with basil leaves, and serve hot over pasta, or, for the carb-conscience, with a side salad.