Last updated on August 24th, 2021
Last Sunday, because the frigid weather demanded it, I fixed a hearty “country” meal with meatloaf and two vegetable sides. The carrot-rich, tomato paste-topped meatloaf was too delicious not to share, so I made it again on Monday, and produced the step-by-step recipe for you! Here goes:
To start, put 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef into a large mixing bowl.
Then add 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (gluten-free panko will work)…
1/2 cup barbecue sauce…
3 large carrots and one small onion, either grated or pureed in a food processor…
2 large eggs from free-range chickens…
1 teaspoon garlic powder…
A heapin’ 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I forgot to add this when I filmed the video — oops)…
1/4 cup minced fresh or dried parsley…
And 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Here comes the gross part: Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients with your bare-naked hands! (My hands are shy, so they covered themselves with food-prep gloves.)
Firmly pack the meat mixture into a lightly-greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
Then frost the loaf with 6 ounces of plain tomato paste…
And top it off with 3 strips of bacon!
Bake the loaf in a preheated 350°F oven until the center registers 160°F when tested with a digital thermometer — about 75 minutes. Let the loaf rest for 15-20 minutes so that juices can be re-absorbed. Then tilt the pan to drain off any excess fat.
Slice and serve! Leftover meatloaf — should there be any — is MARVELOUS for sandwiches!
Video: A Country Meal!
Click the play arrow above to watch me fix this meatloaf plus two vegetable sides: Caramelized Brussels Sprouts and Cheatin’ Mashed Potatoes!
Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
Other hearty dinners to try:
Here’s the printable:
- a large mixing bowl
- A lightly-greased 9x5-inch loaf pan
The meatloaf mixture:
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1.5 cups Panko bread crumbs unseasoned; gluten-free panko will work
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 large carrots grated or pureed
- 1 medium-small onion grated or pureed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup minced parsley fresh or dried
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For topping the loaf:
- 6 ounces tomato paste plain
- 3 strips center-cut bacon or, use regular-cut bacon
- Center the oven rack; preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly combine the loaf ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a lightly-greased 9x5 loaf pan, and pack well. Top with the tomato paste and 3 strips of bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the center of the loaf registers 160°F when tested with a digital thermometer -- about 75 minutes. Let the loaf rest for 15-20 minutes, and then tilt the pan to drain off excess fat.
- Slice and enjoy with your favorite vegetable sides. Leftover meatloaf is terrific for sandwiches!