Ah, Zucchini Jack Casserole. I loved it when I was a teenager, and I still adore it today. The squash is suspended in a voluptuous Monterey Jack cheese custard that puffs up in the oven. And should I mention the casserole’s crunchy crouton crown? Here’s the recipe for this creamy and comforting 1970s classic:
Note: I wrote about this casserole during the dark days of this blog. The following version includes step-by-step photographs and a 1-click printable recipe.
Take six small zucchinis (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)…
And slice ’em into 1/4-inch rounds.
Then mince up a garlic clove…
And chop up a small onion.
Chop up some parsley, too — enough to equal 1/4 cup.
Now put 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium bowl, and heat in the microwave until melted — about 30 seconds.
To the butter, add 1 1/2 cups of small, seasoned croutons…
And toss with a spatula to coat.
Let’s assemble our Zucchini Jack Casserole!
Break 5 large eggs into a big mixing bowl…
And whisk them to smithereens.
Now whisk in 1/2 cup milk…
1 teaspoon salt…
2 teaspoons baking powder…
And 3 tablespoons flour.
Then trade your whisk for a big spoon, and use it to stir in the garlic, onion, and parsley.
Now stir in a large (7 ounce) can of chopped green chiles…
And an ungodly amount of shredded Monterey Jack cheese — about 4 cups of it.
Add the zucchini rounds, and stir to coat.
Then transfer the goods to a greased 9×13 baking dish, and scatter the croutons over the top!
Bake the casserole at 350°F until puffed and golden — about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Are you ready for this final step? Spoon the casserole onto plates, and dig right in!
Hungry for more? Get my email updates!
Zucchini Jack Casserole
- a greased 9x13 baking dish
- a large mixing bowl
For the filling:
- 6-8 small zucchini (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
For the crouton topping
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups small seasoned croutons
- Center the oven rack, and preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- In the large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and flour until smooth. Then stir in the parsley, garlic, onion, chiles, cheese, and zucchini. Pour into the greased baking dish.
- Toss croutons in the melted butter and scatter on top of the casserole. Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole puffs and its center is set -- about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.