May I offer you some Crispy Corn Fritters? These munchy wonders are made with lots of healthy veggies (besides corn), and just enough batter to hold everything together. Kids love the fritters as much as adults do. Looking for a fabulous first course, a casual main course, or a dazzling party appetizer? I filmed and wrote out the simple recipe for you:
Watch the above video to see how easily these Crispy Corn Fritters come together. Then scroll down for a few notes and the printable recipe. Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
Culinary Notes for Crispy Corn Fritters
A note for the gluten-intolerant. You can make the fritter batter with gluten-free flour.
A note about the seasonings. I like to season these fritters with nothing more than salt and pepper. You, however, might prefer to spice things up a bit. To do this, simply add to the batter a dash of red pepper flakes, a whisper of cayenne, or a few shakes of Tabasco.
A note about the dipping sauce. I made my dipping sauce with sour cream, lemon, and a sprinkling of diced veggies and chopped parsley. The fritters are equally wonderful when dipped in homemade (or store-bought) ketchup or barbecue sauce.
And speaking of homemade ketchup…here’s the recipe.
Crispy Corn Fritters
- 3/4 cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper -- a pinch of each, or to taste
- 1 large, beaten egg
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (plus more for shallow frying)
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 8.75 ounce (248g) can whole corn kernels, drained, and blotted dry with a kitchen towel
- 1 cup sour cream
- The grated zest of a lemon
- The juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Then whisk in the salt, pepper, egg, milk, and olive oil. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the scallions and all but 1 tablespoon each of the red pepper and parsley. Stir in the corn.
- Heat a glug of olive in a skillet set over medium heat. Depending on the size fritters you want, spoon 4, 6, or 8 dollops of batter into the skillet. Gently flatten each fritter with the back of the spoon. Fry until golden brown on the underside -- about 2 minutes. Then flip, and brown the other side for about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately, or keep the fritters warm in a 200°F oven for 30-60 minutes. Serve with Sour Cream and Lemon Sauce (recipe below).
Sour Cream and Lemon Sauce:
- In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, lemon zest and juice, and the reserved red bell pepper and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.