Last updated on January 27th, 2022
Looking for (yet) another keto-friendly sheet pan dinner? I have some scrumptious Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps for you! The fajita filling is tucked inside ‘Butterhead’ lettuce leaves. And what an awesome filling it is — colorful bell peppers, onion, and perfectly-spiced morsels of chicken, all baked together on a single tray. Preparation is a breeze, and cook-time is just 20-25 minutes. Here’s my video demonstration, plus a handy printable recipe:
Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps: Video Demonstration
Here’s the printable recipe, followed by a step-by-step photographic demonstration:
Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
For the seasoning mixture:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (or up to 3) tablespoon olive oil
For the chicken:
- 2 medium-size chicken breasts, sliced horizontally through the middle, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
For the vegetables:
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 3 colorful bell peppers, thinly sliced
- Olive oil -- enough to coat the vegetables
- Salt and black pepper -- a sprinkling of each
Optional flavorings for the chicken and vegetables:
- The juice of 1 lime
- Fresh, chopped cilantro OR chopped parsley
For the wraps:
- 1 head 'Butterhead' lettuce, the leaves detached, rinsed, and patted dry
Optional for garnish:
- Sour cream -- a squeeze or dollop for each fajita
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry seasoning ingredients. Then whisk in the Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. The mixture should be quite thick. If too thick to pour, however, thin it out with extra olive oil.
- Put the cut-up chicken in a gallon-size zip-lock bag. Pour the seasoning mixture over the chicken, and then massage the bag until all of the chicken is coated. Seal the bag, and then pop it into the refrigerator while you cut up the vegetables.
- Put the cut-up vegetables on a large baking sheet, and give them a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken morsels to the baking sheet. If the morsels are stuck together, separate them for even cooking. Squeeze the lime juice over all. Discard the marinade mixture that remains in the bag.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is done and the vegetables have started to caramelize -- 20-25 minutes. Spoon the fajita mixture onto the prepared lettuce leaves, and garnish, if you wish, with a sprinkle of cilantro (or parsley) and a squirt or dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
For those of you who can’t watch videos, here’s a quick run-down of the Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps recipe:
Whisk together the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
Cut the chicken into fajita-size pieces (demonstrated in the above video), put them in a zip-lock bag, and pour the seasoning mixture into the bag. Massage the bag until the chicken is coated. Pop the works into the fridge while you cut up the vegetables.
Cut the onion into thin half-moons, and cut the peppers into thin strips.
Put the vegetables on a large baking sheet, and sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
Use tongs to transfer the chicken to the baking sheet, placing the morsels on top of the vegetables. If the chicken morsels are stuck together, separate them for even cooking.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken and vegetables. Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is done and the vegetables are lightly caramelized — 20-25 minutes.
Spoon the fajita mixture onto the prepared lettuce leaves. If desired, give each serving a squeeze or dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!!! Hungry for more? Get my email updates.