Last updated on January 27th, 2022
Here’s the printable recipe from the “Cabbage Pie” video that was recently published on my YouTube channel. The pie is delicious at any temperature — hot, warm, or even cold from the fridge. And nothing could be easier to make. Make this vegetarian masterpiece once, and I promise you will make it again and again.
Watch the video above to learn the fine points for making Cabbage Pie. Then proceed to the printable recipe below. Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
Need a great bread to accompany Cabbage Pie? I vote for Rustic Beer Bread! Here’s the recipe.
Think you’ll give this Cabbage Pie a try? Talk to me in the comments field below. I love hearing from you!
- 425 grams Cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded (about half of one medium size head of cabbage)
- 150 grams onion, diced (half of a large onion)
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 80 grams all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup of flour)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying the pie
- Put the cabbage, onion, parsley. and seasonings in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Pour the beaten eggs over the mixture, and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the flour, and, again, toss to coat.
- Warm the vegetable oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the cabbage mixture, and mash it down lightly with a spatula. Then run the spatula between cabbage and skillet to create a round, or "pie" shape. Cover the skillet, and let cook until richly browned on the bottom -- about 10 minutes.
- Flip the pie. To do this, slide the pie, top side up, onto a large plate,. Carefully place the skillet over the pie, and then invert so that the bottom of the pie is now on the top. Cook, covered, until done -- about 7 minutes. Slide the pie onto a plate or serving platter, cut it into wedges, and enjoy!