These 1960s Hello Dolly Bars travel under several aliases. I’ve seen them referred to as “Magic Bars,” “Six Layer Bars” and “Seven Layer Bars.” By any name, the treats are chewy-gooey-delicious and oh, so simple to make. You might like to bake up a batch to give as gifts to your friends and family. Alternatively, you can do what I did the other day, and just hog the entire lot for yourself.
Looking for other holiday-worthy treats? Click here to see my cookie collection.
Hello Dolly Bars: The Step-By-Step Recipe
To start, line a square 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper, as shown. Use some softened butter to help the paper stick to the sides of the pan. The paper will permit the easy release of the dessert after is has cooled.
Now toss 10 tablespoons of butter into a medium-size glass bowl…
And melt the butter in the microwave.
Stir 2 cups graham cracker crumbs into the butter.
Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan, and press it down to form a crust.
Evenly scatter the crust with 1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips…
A handful (about about 1/4 cup) butterscotch morsels (these can fill in any gaps between the chocolate chips)…
A cup of coarsely chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds here)…
And a cup of sweetened shredded coconut.
Then crack open a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk…
And drizzle it evenly over the dessert.
Bake at 350°F until the chocolate melts and the coconut begins to brown — about 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate for at least one hour.
Unmold, and cut into 30 squares or rectangles.
You’re looking swell, Dolly! Enjoy the bars with coffee for dessert or hot chocolate for a bedtime snack. You’ll never fall asleep.
Got your own version of this classic 1960s recipe? Talk to me in the comment field below.
Meantime, happy holidays to you and yours! xKevin
Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
And…here’s the printable:
1960s Hello Dolly Bars
- 10 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch morsels optional
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Center the oven rack; preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Put the butter in a medium-size glass bowl. Microwave on "high" until the butter is just melted. Stir, with a fork, the crushed graham crackers into the butter. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking pan, pressing it down firmly with knuckles. Layer the crust evenly with the chocolate chips, butterscotch morsels, nuts, and coconut. Then drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly all over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chocolate melts and the coconut begins to toast -- about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least one hour. Unmold and cut into 30 squares or "bars." Enjoy this sweet treat with coffee or hot chocolate. Refrigerate leftover bars for up to 5 days.