Chickpea Shakshuka Recipe
This is my vegan version of the traditional egg-topped Shakshuka. The chickpeas are bathed in an aromatic blend of vegetables, tomato sauce, and Middle Eastern spices. Delicious over brown rice!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 29 ounce can plain, unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can plain tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt (or to taste)
- Ground spices: cinnamon, paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne and cardamom -- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of each, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup use generous tablespoons!
- 1 tablespoon capers (or to taste)
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced lengthwise in half
- 2 15.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Optional garnish: cilantro leaves
In a heavy, 12-inch-diameter skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pepper and onion, and saute until soft -- about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and saute just until fragrant -- about 15 seconds.
One ingredient at a time, stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, spices, maple syrup, capers, and olives. Then cover the skillet, lower the heat, and let the mixture simmer until the flavors meld -- about 5 minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas, cover the skillet, and simmer until chickpeas are warmed throughout -- about 5 minutes.
Ladle the shakshuka over brown rice; garnish each serving with a few cilantro leaves.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 621IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg