I made these Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies the other day, and they were so lovely, lively, and luscious that I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you. Betcha can’t eat just one of these citrus-kissed creations! You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry and fridge:
Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tip 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour into a medium bowl.
Then add 1/2 teaspoon out-of-focus salt…
1/4 teaspoon in-focus baking soda…
And violently whisk to combine.
In a separate bowl, add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar…
And the zest of 1 lemon!
Use your (impeccably clean) fingers to squish the zest and sugar together until the sugar is fragrant.
Now drop 1 stick (113g) softened butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Or, use any large bowl if you are planning to mix by spoon or by electric beaters.
Add the scented sugar to the butter, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy — about 5 minutes.
Then beat in 1 large, handsome egg…
And 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract. (I used my own, homemade extract).
At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture.
Detach the bowl from the mixer, and fold in 6 ounces (1 cup) chocolate chips. I used half semi-sweet and half bitter-sweet chips, because I had both types on hand.
By hand, by spoon, or by cookie-dough scoop, drop 1-inch diameter balls of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart.
Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to slightly flatten the cookies, and then pop the works into the fridge while you heat the oven to 350°F.
Bake until the chocolate melts and the tops of the cookies color slightly — about 8 minutes for soft cookies, and 15-18 minutes for crisp.
These easy biscuits are downright addicting. If you make them, please post your review in the comments field below. I love hearing from you!
Hungry for more? Get my email updates!
Wanna watch me make these cookies right before your very eyes? Scroll to the end of the printable recipe:
Lemon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (192g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup (68g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (104g) brown sugar
- The grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (or, use a combination of the two)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. In a separate medium bowl, add the sugars and lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar.
- Tip the butter and the scented sugar into the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter until they turn light and fluffy -- about 5 minutes. Then beat in the egg and vanilla. At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Detach the bowl from the mixer. Use a spatula to fold the chocolate chips into the dough.
- Scoop 1-inch-diameter balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart. Pop the baking sheet into the refrigerator while you heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chocolate melts and the cookies color slightly -- about 8 minute for soft cookies, and 15 minutes for crisp. To avoid sticking, let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.