1950s Minute Rice Casserole
A retro dinner for the harried cook. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to suit your own taste buds.
- 1 lb. lean, raw ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey; even vegan "Beyond Meat" will work here)
- 1 large bell pepper, any color
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ounces sliced black olives
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- Grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 cup water
Center the oven rack; preheat the oven to 350°F
Add all ingredients to a 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish. Mix thoroughly by hand.
Bake in the preheated oven until the meat is cooked through, and the casserole has lightly browned on top -- about 40 minutes.
Cool the casserole on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before serving.