Crunchy Cabbage Casserole
Cabbage, onion, and potatoes baked beneath an addicting lid of French fried onions. Easy to make!
- vegetable spray for greasing the baking dish
- 1 small head cabbage finely shredded
- 1 large onion peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick half moons
- 3 medium-large red potatoes peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted) melted
- 3.5 ounces French fried onions store-bought
Center the oven rack and preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Scatter half of the cabbage into the baking dish, then layer on half of the onions and potatoes. Lightly season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Then layer on the remaining cabbage, onion, and potatoes. Drizzle the melted butter over the top, and dust with salt and pepper.
Tightly cover the baking dish with a lid or a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork -- about 40 minutes.
Remove the lid and sprinkle on the French fried onions. Bake, uncovered, until the topping crisps and colors slightly -- about 10 minutes. Serve while hot!