This French/Spanish "condiment" transforms every day foods into haute cuisine. Feel free to double or triple the recipe.
- 4 large bell peppers of various colors, cut into julienne strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Salt and pepper -- a pinch of each
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Olive oil -- about 2 tablespoons
Put the peppers, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Toss to mix.
Heat the oil in a large skillet set over a medium flame. Tip the pepper mixture into the skillet, and add the salt, pepper, and thyme. Toss the ingredients until all are slick with oil.
Cover the skillet, lower the heat, and let the veggies cook until tender-crisp -- about 5 minutes.
If you plant to freeze this condiment, first let it come to room temperature. Then seal in air-tight plastic bags or tubs. When frozen, Piperade will keep for months.