Green Beans Gremolata
Green beans tossed in an aromatic Italian condiment of garlic, parsley, lemon, Parmesan cheese, and crunchy pine nuts.
- 1 pound French green beans
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaved parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Olive oil - about 2 1/2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and blanch them for 2 minutes, until tender but still crisp. Drain the beans in a colander and immediately put them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve their bright green color.
Make the Gremolata: toss the garlic, lemon zest, parsley, Parmesan, and pine nuts into a small bowl and set aside.
Heat the oliv eoil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the beans and pat them dry. Add the beans to the pan and saute, turning frequently, until beans are coated with olive oil and heat through -- about 2 minutes. Off heat, add the Gremolata and toss well. Sprinkle with kosher salt and grinds of black pepper.