This Simple Lemon Loaf Cake is one of the lemony-est treats I’ve ever put in my mouth. Lemon zest and pure lemon extract give the cake its sunny flavor and intense perfume. And nothing could be easier to make. The only equipment you’ll need is a bowl, a whisk, and a loaf pan.
Simple Lemon Loaf Cake: The Video
Click the play arrow above to watch me make the cake in real time. Then read on for the photographic directions and the printable recipe:
Break 3 large, room-temperature eggs into a mixing bowl…
And violently whisk them into submission.
Next, whisk in one cup of sugar…
A healthy cup of sour cream…
Half a cup of some neutral-tasting vegetable oil…
The grated zest of a lemon…
And 2 tablespoons of pure lemon extract. You can find lemon extract at any two-bit grocery store.
Add 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour…
And stir it in with a spoon or spatula. Stir only until the flour disappears. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
Tip the batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan (I sprayed my pan with “baking” spray)…
And smooth the top with a spatula.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until the cake puffs and colors slightly, and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean — 50-55 minutes. (As mentioned in the video, I covered my cake with a tent of aluminum foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to avoid an overly-bronzed top.) Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack for further cooling.
When the cake has cooled to room temperature, give it a quick glaze: 1 cup confectioners’ sugar blended with just enough fresh lemon juice to achieve the consistency of your dreams.
Enjoy this Simple Lemon Loaf Cake with a mug of coffee, a cup of tea, or a flute of Champagne!
Hungry for more? Get my email updates.
Looking for another lemonicious dessert? Try my Best Lemon Tart.
And here, in case you want it, is the printable recipe:
Simple Lemon Loaf Cake
- A 9- inch x 5-inch loaf pan, greased and floured (or sprayed with "baking" spray)
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup neutral-tasting vegetable oil
- The grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pure lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (see note below)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Center the oven rack; preheat the oven to 350°F. Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, and whisk them thoroughly. One at a time, whisk in each of the following: the sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and lemon extract. Add the self-rising flour, and stir, with a spoon or spatula, until the flour disappears. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven until the cake puffs and colors slightly, and when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean -- 50-55 minutes. To avoid a too-brown top, cover the cake with a tent of aluminum foil during the final 5 minutes of baking.
- Allow the cake to cool in its pan for 30 minutes. Then unmold, and let cool to room temperature on a wire rack. When completely cool, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Pour over cake.