Chickpea Brownies? Really? Oh, yes. And what scrumptious brownies they are! Sweet. Gooey. Addicting. They’re gluten-free too, if that matters to you. And nothing could be easier to make. Just toss canned chickpeas, chocolate chips, and a few other ingredients into a blender, pop the works into the oven, and you’re all set! My recipe for you:
Chickpea Brownies: The Video
Click the play arrow above to watch me make this unusual treat right before your very eyes. Or, scroll down for the step-by-step and printable recipes. (Do not click any ads that read “Print Recipes!” My printable recipe is at the very end of this post.)
Preheat the oven the 350°F…
And either grease or line with parchment paper an 8×8-inch baking dish.
Now crack 4 large eggs…
And drop them into the jar of an electric blender. Splat!
Then grab a blurry 15.5 ounce can of chickpeas…
And drain and rinse the beans.
Tip the beans into the blender…
And 1 whole honking cup of sugar…
And whir at high speed until the mixture is smooth.
Then add 1 teaspoon homemade or store-bought pure vanilla extract…
1/2 teaspoon salt…
1 teaspoon baking powder…
And 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. I used semi-sweet chips for the video recipe above, and bittersweet chips for this here step-by-step. Both produced superb brownies.
Blend at high speed until the batter turns thick and smooth and chocolaty — about 30 seconds.
Tip the batter into the prepared baking dish…
And shake the pan to level the batter.
Bake until a skewer inserted into the center of “cake” comes out clean or mostly clean — 30-35 minutes. Cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes.
Then unmold (if you used parchment paper), and cut into squares or rectangles. Enjoy without sharing!
Here’s the printable:
Scrumptious Chickpea Brownies
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease or line with parchment paper an 8x8-inch square baking dish.
- Tip the eggs, chickpeas and sugar into the jar of an electric blender. Blend at high speed until smooth -- about 15 seconds. Add the vanilla, salt, baking powder and chocolate, and blend again at high speed until thick, smooth, and chocolaty -- about 30 seconds. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted in the "cake" comes out clean or mostly clean -- 30-35 minutes. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then unmold (if you lined the pan with parchment). Cut the cake into squares or rectangles and enjoy.