Arugula Toast is my own creation. To make it, I simply sauteed some baby arugula leaves together with minced garlic, sliced almonds, and a splash of fresh lemon juice. Then I spread some protein-rich hummus on slices of crisply toasted bread, and mounded the gorgeous green magic on top. Delicious? Oh, yes! Here’s the recipe for this 2-minute appetizer or casual main course:
First, toast 4 thick slices of bread. I used a homemade Crusty Sourdough Boule for this recipe, but you might prefer whole grain sandwich bread. Heck, even Wonder Bread will do the trick! (Anybody remember Wonder Bread?)
Next, warm a little olive or vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add 3 or 4 minced cloves of garlic…
And 2-3 tablespoons of sliced almonds.
Saute the garlic and almonds just until they’re fragrant — about 1 minute.
Then add 5 ounces of baby arugula leaves…
And toss them about until they wilt — 1 minute (or less).
Off heat, stir in the juice of half a lemon…
And a generous pinch of sea salt or kosher salt.
Spread the toasted bread with the hummus of your choice. “Buffalo” -flavored hummus goes particularly well with arugula. That’s what I used.
Top the toasts with the arugula mixture…
And dive right in!
Think you’ll give this Arugula Toast recipe a try? Talk to me in the comments section below. And if you do make the toasts, please post your review.
Here’s the printable:
- 4 thick slices of bread, preferably from a crusty loaf
- a glug of olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 5 ounces baby arugula leaves
- The juice of half a lemon
- sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- Toast the bread, and spread it on one side with the hummus.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and almonds, and saute until fragrant -- about 1 minute. Add the arugula leaves, and saute until the leaves wilt -- about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Divide the arugula mixture among the toasts. Serve hot or warm.