Blackberry Buckle

July 9, 2014

Today, I picked up some beautiful blackberries from my favorite farm store, and turned them into a Blackberry Buckle. A “buckle” is named for its rustic, or “buckled” appearance. It’s simple to make and divine to eat.

You can make a buckle with any kind of berry. Use whatever is in season. You can even use frozen berries, as long as you thaw them first.

To start, tip 1 cup sugar into a mixing bowl.

Add 1 cup self-rising flour.

No self-rising flour on hand? Then sift together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.

(I use self-rising flour for lots of baked goods, including this awesome Marmalade Cake.)

Whisk in 1 cup milk…

And one stick (1/2 cup) melted butter.

Whisk vigorously, until you’ve achieved a fairly smooth batter.

Now grab a baking dish, and butter it generously.

What size baking dish? Well, mine is 10 1/2 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 2 inches deep. But any 10-inch diameter dish (or cast-iron skillet) will suffice.

Tip the batter into the dish.

Take 2 cups of blackberries (or blueberries, etc.), and scatter them over the batter.

Try to distribute the berries as evenly as possible.

Sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup sugar…

And pop the works into a 350°F oven. Bake until browned and “buckled” — about 1 hour.

Put a heapin’ helpin’ on a Royal Albert “Moonlight Rose” plate…

Whip up some cream…

Top the buckle with the cream…

And dig in, baby.

Does this easy, seasonal dessert appeal to you? I hope you’ll let me know by leaving a comment.

For your convenience, here’s a copy-and-paste version of the above deliciousness:

Blackberry Buckle
Kevin Lee Jacobs (www.kevinleejacobs.com)
1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 cups blackberries

Set the oven rack at the lower-middle position; preheat the oven to 350°F

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and milk. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour the batter into a buttered, 10-inch diameter baking dish. Distribute the berries over the batter, and dust the top with 1/4 cup sugar. Bake until browned and “buckled” — about 1 hour.

Don’t miss any of Kevin’s home and garden posts…sign up for his weekly email updates!

More fun:
Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Blueberry Bars
Angelic Zucchini Fritters

Comments

1. Joan C says:

This will be made this afternoon. I’ve picked quite a few blackberries earlier today. May do a mix of blackberries and blueberries.

2. Honor says:

Have been picking and freezing wild black raspberries (blackcaps) for jam. Next to ripen will be tons of wild blackberries-definitely going to try this recipe because how much jam can a small family actually eat? :)

3. stephanie hamilton says:

Kevin, this looks absolutely wonderful. I have made several of your recipes in the past and they ALL work and are all wonderful. Thank you so much for all your wonderful cooking….

Stef

4. Paulette says:

No pretending here, I want.

5. Sandy says:

WOW!! This looks awesome…. and easy too!!

6. Juanita says:

Yes Kevin……easy seasonal desserts ABSOLUTELY appeal to me

7. Sheryl says:

Oh, yay! I just picked a big bowl of wild blackberries from my back yard today, after feeding (and being pecked by) the chickens. (They like blackberries, too, so I throw a few in to keep them happy and crazy…) I also managed to get one in my garden shoe, so my foot was all purple as I was leaving for work.

ANYway, I love using all the seasonal fruits – I just got done making a couple of batches of strawberry jam – but I like using the fruit right away, as close to fresh as I can!

I will make this on the weekend. Thanks again for the great recipes.

8. Brenda Johnson says:

How excited I was to get the call that Kevin was bringing me a piece of this!!! Crackly on the top, crispy around the edges…. moist in the middle and full of delicious blackberries!!!! (one of my all time favorites!!) Bursting with summer flavor! The scoop of vanilla ice cream put this over the top as a winning afternoon treat!!! This has bumped it’s way pretty high up on the all time favorites list Kevin!!!! Thank you- as always -for letting me taste test!!!!

9. Rosemary says:

Thanks for the recipe Kevin! I made blackberry buckle for dessert for last night’s dinner and it was a definite hit. Our growing season here in Southwestern Ontario isn’t quite as far along as yours. We’re still enjoying strawberry season and blackberry/raspberry season is still a few weeks away…but I had just enough of last year’s blackberries still in the freezer to try this recipe. I will definitely make it again!

10. Brenda Johnson – Thank you for taste-testing!

Rosemary – So glad you tried and liked this blissful buckle.

11. Trudi Dido says:

. This sounds like a good sendoff breakfast for my grand son who will be going back home today. Good memories of eating and Gramma’s house . Thanks very much!

12. Jane L says:

Kevin, here I the South, we call your recipe a cobbler. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother used this one. Thanks for sharing.

13. Linda says:

Kevin, this looks delicious. Can this be made ahead or frozen? Grandkids are coming and I want to make some this ahead of time. Thanks.

14. Marcia says:

Thanks for the recipe.

Here in Indiana we have a bumper crop of Elderberries coming on. I’ve made jelly and flopped jelly which I called Elderberry syrup. Any other ideas?

15. Carol M says:

These berries look like black raspberries to me, which I have not had the pleasure of tasting. I do grow blackberries in my garden, they are just setting fruit well.
    I make a blueberry buckle recipe, that is quite different. I substitute the blueberries also, I use huckleberries in their place. I always look forward to huckleberries season(which is just around the corner) because of the buckle recipe.
    I think I will have to give this a try when I blackberries this year.

16. Mary Alice says:

On my out the door to buy Blackberries for this!

17. Brenda says:

This sounds fabulous..thank you so much for taking the time to share all of your tips, recipes and how tos..love them all.

18. Pam says:

I am trying strawberries, as I got those on sale .50 per quart. And I’ll use a self rising cornmeal mix. Thanks for the idea, Kevin!

19. Beverly, zone 6, eastern PA says:

I agree with Carol M. at #15.

Those berries are a spot on match for my own black raspberries which are coming to the end of their harvest today. Freezer is loaded! We love them on cereal and in Greek Yogurt, too.

I never wash my fragile Black Raspberries beforehand. It seems to make them too soggy and you can see the flavor visibly going down the drain. Wondering, did you wash yours? The presentation of your Buckle would make a great statement at the table with guests. Looks do-able and delicious.

20. Jennifer says:

I will be making this today if the heat stays away. Our window a/c units don’t do a good job of cooling off the kitchen so baking is at a minimum during the hotter months. Looks delicious though and I have some blueberries that are begging to be used!

21. EFR says:

The pictures show what appears to me as black raspberries and not blackberries.?? Gene

22. Kristina says:

Yep! Those are black raspberries, my fav!! They also make the best jam!!

23. Casey Cavasher says:

Afraid the serving size in the photo is just wayyyy too small!

24. Jeannine says:

I made your buckle with wild raspberries (black cap raspberries?) today. Soooo good! Will try next with blueberries…or huckleberries. The recipe is a definite keeper!

25. Lela Hardin says:

Did not have berries on hand, but had fresh peaches— it’s in the oven now. Can’t wait to try. Thanks for the buckle recipe.

26. Jeanne K Collins says:

I make this all the time BUT I use a gluten free cup for cup flour adding baking soda and salt (which is already present in self-rising flour). It’s one of the few recipes that I have found that converts very easily to gluten-free. It”s terrific with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and peaches!

27. Margaret says:

I too am in the South, we call this recipe an Easy Cobbler. The smaller diameter of the dish and deeper the sides the more like a cobbler it becomes. It can be made with any fruit, fresh, frozen, or even canned. I’ve even made it with muscadine juice.and it was wonderful. I doesn’t matter if you put the fruit in first or last. The only way you can mess it up is to stir the fruit and batter together before cooking if the fruit has juices.

28. Sandy Sebold says:

I made Blueberry Buckle, last week and it was delicious. Yours looks even better and wow I didn’t think to serve it with whipped cream! Looking forward to your recipe, thanks!

29. carol says:

Sounds deliciosomo! Plan to pick blackberries at a nearby farm and will give this recipe a try! And, we love our raised vege beds. Followed your instructions. Great harvest and so much easier to weed and water. You are my garden guru, you know.

30. Codi says:

I was recently gifted a large container of fresh blackberries and had been wondering what to do with them. no time to make a jam, since we are preparing to make a trip to the west coast later this week. this was just the recipe I needed! Thank you, Kevin! :)

31. Michelle says:

Thanks Kevin for another EASY recipe. Will make before the summer is over. Especially since we still have some really cool nights.
    So appreciate. Looks delicious!

32. Mary Downing says:

Looks like a keeper, a real yummer!!

33. Suzanne George says:

Looks incredibly easy; can’t wait to try it. And, what a beautiful china plate you served it on.

34. Doris from Missouri says:

I made this right away as our blackberries are at prime picking right now. It’s the
    right sweetness and richness to offset the berries, just the recipe I needed! My aunts
    used to make this all the time. 3/4 of the pan is already gone so gonna make some more!

35. Pam says:

Ate all my black raspberries as I was working in the garden so had to go shopping for something to use in this recipe. Bought frozen red raspberries. Easiest recipe ever and so delicious. Will make again with blueberries this week. Thanks for another “keeper” recipe, Kevin!

36. Juanita says:

I made this yesterday and it was delicious!! My husband even loves it, and he hardly eats any desserts. So simply to make. Thanks so much