Glazed Strawberry Tart

June 11, 2014

I MADE THIS STRAWBERRY TART the other day, and can tell you that it looks, tastes, and smells like a sunny summer holiday. It’s an extra-easy tart to make, because you don’t have to roll out the pastry dough. Ready to try this ruby-red sonnet? Here’s the step-by-step recipe:

First, pour 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt into the work-bowl of your food processor.

Add one 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar…

And a cold, diced-up stick of butter…

And a large, beaten egg.

Pulse the works until crumbly.

And that’s it! Our pastry dough is made.

Pour the buttery crumbs into a 9-inch-diameter removable-bottom tart pan.

Instead of rolling out the dough, simply press it, with your impeccably clean fingers, against the sides and bottom of the pan.

Then pierce the bottom (not the sides) of the pastry all over with the tines of a fork.

To insure the crust holds its shape, top it with a sheet of aluminum foil (or parchment paper, as above)…

And fill it with aluminum pie weights, clean copper pennies, or 2 pounds of beans.

After I typed “clean copper pennies,” the song “My Favorite Things” started to play in my head.

I’ll bet the tune has popped into your head, too.

Oh, the power of suggestion.

Tip: Beans make terrific pie-weights, and you can use them again and again. Just store them in an appropriately-labeled, airtight container.

Freeze the shell for 30 minutes.

And then…

Bake it a baking sheet  in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Then remove the weights and paper or foil, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the sides of the shell start to color, and the bottom feels dry to the touch. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.

To make the filling, grab an 8-ounce block of thoroughly softened cream cheese, and fling it into a mixing bowl.

Add 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar…

And the grated zest of 1 lemon.

And then, with Julie Andrews’ voice still clinging to your ears, beat the mixture with a spoon until it looks smooth and voluptuous.

Eat enough of this tart, and you’ll look smooth and voluptuous, too.

Scoop the lemony filling into the tart shell, and spread it out with an offset spatula.

Now hull (read: slice off the green stem) and halve some juicy, fully-ripe, organic strawberries. (Avoid under-ripe berries — they are hard and flavorless. )

Stand the berries, with their pointed end up, in concentric circles around the shell.

Then, pretending the berries are dominoes, push them down so they overlap.

Onto the glaze! Put some red currant jelly in a small ramekin…

Add a little sugar, and then heat the mixture in the microwave just until it boils — about 45 seconds.

No microwave oven for you? Put the jelly and sugar in a small saucepan, and bring ‘em to a boil on the stove.

Generously brush the berries with the liquified jelly.

Then refrigerate the tart for at least one hour.  As the dessert chills, the cream cheese will firm up, and the glaze will develop a fantastic sheen.

For a finished appearance, garnish the tart with a sprig of lemon verbena (my choice, as above) or some mint leaves.

Unmold the tart…

And dive right in!

A tender, buttery crust…a luscious, lemony filling…a topping of ruby-red, sweet and juicy strawberries — there isn’t anything that isn’t awesome about this tart.

As promised, here’s the copy-and-paste version:

Glazed Strawberry Tart
Kevin Lee Jacobs (www.kevinleejacobs.com)
Ingredients for 1 9-inch tart
For the tart shell:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
1 large, organic egg, beaten

For the cream cheese base:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
The grated zest of 1 lemon

For the strawberries and glaze:
1 1/2-2 lbs perfectly ripe organic strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise in half
3 tablespoons red currant jelly
1 teaspoon granulated sugar

Making and forming the pate brisee sucree tart shell — Pour the flour, confectioners’ sugar, salt, butter and beaten egg into the workbowl of a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Tip the mixture into a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan. Press the dough firmly against the sides and bottom of the pan. Pierce the bottom of the dough all over with the tines of a fork.

Freezing the shell — Lay a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper over the shell. Fill with pie weights, clean copper pennies, or 2 lbs of beans. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.

Baking the shell — Bake on the center rack of a preheated 425°F oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove the weights and the paper or foil, and continue baking until the pastry starts to color at the edge, and its bottom feels dry to the touch — 10-15 minutes. Cool completely before filling.

The cream cheese base — Put the cream cheese in a medium bowl. Add the confectioners’ sugar and lemon zest, and then stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until perfectly smooth. Scoop the mixture into the cooled tart shell, and then spread it out evenly with an offset spatula.

Arranging and glazing the strawberries — Stand the halved berries (pointed end up) in concentric circles around the tart. Then gently push the tips down, so the berries overlap. Put the red currant jelly and sugar in a ramekin, and heat in the microwave until boiling — about 45 seconds. (Alternatively, you can boil the jelly and sugar in a small saucepan on the stove.) Using a pastry brush, apply the glaze to the berries.

Chill the tart for at least 1 hour before serving.

Think you’ll try this Glazed Strawberry Tart? You can let me know by leaving a comment. As always, your words are music to my ears.

Don’t miss anything at A Garden for the House…sign up for Kevin’s weekly email newsletter.

Other mind-numbing posts you might enjoy:
Glazed Apple Tart
Tour My Garden!
Prudence and The Parlor Paint Job

Comments

1. Judith says:

Uh, I don’t know what to say. Everything you post looks delicious. Period.

2. Dang. My wife (AKA “tied with many others as your #1 fan) just sent me this. I’m hoping that our farmers market has fresh strawberries this weekend!

3. Martha Robinson says:

Wow. Just wow.

4. Renee says:

Just wanted you to know that I made your strawberry tart last night. Everyone loved the crust, the strawberries, and the cream cheese filling! I’ll make another for a party this weekend. Super easy to do because you don’t have to roll out the crust! Thank you, Kevin!

5. Michael says:

You always have the best recipes. Can’t wait to try this one. Perfect for June.

6. Jeri Erman says:

I am looking forward to making this!! I usually follow your recipes to a “T” but am wondering if I could use raspberry jam instead of red currant jelly. I have the raspberry jam and would rather not buy another jelly since we do not use much otherwise. Just curious what your thought on that is. (I know – why mess with perfection?)

7. Hi Jeri – If your raspberry jam is seedless, it ought to work as a glaze. (Otherwise, just strain out the seeds after you heat the jam with sugar.)

8. Brenda Johnson says:

Strawberry scrumptousness!!! While I love everything about this lovely tart- from the buttery crust to the glistening glazed berries- the cream cheese filling is what set it heads above the rest! So many tarts have a pudding type “cream” that just doesn’t stand up to the juicy berries- while this with it’s lemony zesty bolder texture- is the perfect accompaniment for the ruby colored sweeties! So very elegant to serve to guests or eat by the slice on your own!!!

9. Jeri Erman says:

Kevin – thanks for the tip about straining out the seeds when using the raspberry jam. It was necessary, but the extra work may just make buying the Red Currant Jelly more of a necessity than I previously thought!! Another question for you … in a different tart recipe you have posted, you used 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar but in this tart recipe, you only use 1/4 cup. I was thinking the next time I make this (and I know I will!!) – that I would want to sweeten up the tart a little more. Not sure if I should jump up to 1/2 cup or maybe 1/3 cup. I like that you just press this tart dough out though and not go through the rolling out, etc. It really is so easy! Never made a tart crust in a food processor before but what a way to go! Thank you again for another wonderful recipe!!

10. Brenda – Thanks for taste-testing. I’m so lucky to have you close by!

Jeri – So glad you tried the tart! For a sweeter version, I’d go ahead and increase the confectioners sugar to 1/2 cup for the pastry dough. You could also bump up the sugar in the lemon zest/cream cheese base.

11. Molly says:

YOU are a sunny summer day!
    Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

12. Sandra Allen says:

Many thanks for the easy to follow instructions on all of your recipes! You give me confidence to try new dishes.
    Sandra

13. Patti Panuccio says:

Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

14. Beverly, zone 6, eastern PA says:

Looks really good! Mouth is watering.

15. Pat in New Brunswick says:

Mouth watering as I write…but I will wait for our local berries not the hard, pale kinds I see in our stores today. Thanks for the journey of the senses!

16. Georgeann Brown says:

Thanks for the “dominoes” trick. Always had a hard time with the correct spacing and not pushing down so hard.

17. Gladys Rellinger Zone 5b says:

I just happen to have a quart of berries and all the other ing. Will make this for Fathers Day dinner. Thank you

18. Judy McCarrel says:

I have fresh strawberries and lemons and the rest of the ingredients. This is going to be the dessert for this week. Thanks !

19. Kathy says:

I have one red current bush and I had to save the berries in the freezer for two years before I had enough to make jelly. I think this is a worthy recipe for the precious stuff. (As soon as my strawberries are ripe — it’s June 15 and the strawberries aren’t ripe. Oh, woe.)

20. Addie B. in FL says:

Hi, Kevin – it was “bright copper kettles”, I think for Julie Andrews, but your pennies did the trick anyway – the song stuck in my head before that for some obscure reason was “Leroy Brown” – I’ll take Julie over him any day!!!

I’ll definitely try this recipe – any pastry that I don’t have to roll out has to be done! Hopefully I can find red currant jelly somewhere in Ocala……

21. Cheryl says:

You are killing me. I seriously almost died reading this recipe. AND. THANK. YOU. VERY.MUCH.
    I CAN’T STOP SINGING ‘MY FAVORITE THINGS’ WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE SONG MY 8th GRADE SANG AT GRADUATION SEVERAL DECADES AGO. Sorry for the caps, but it is just all too overwhelming!

22. Athena says:

This looks fantastic and the no-roll tart crust will be great to try with my gluten free flours!!! Can’t wait to try this week. I will let you know how it turns out ! Thank you!

23. Alicia O'Neal says:

The Strawberry Tart will be great for my afternoon Mary Kay guest this Wednesday. No MSG:)
    I have a new gmaill and deleting yahoo.com email.

24. Ruth says:

Now I know what an offset spatula is used for! lol This looks divine!

25. Paula Diggle says:

Kevin, what weight is your ‘stick’ of butter? In the UK it comes in 250g packs.
    Looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it.

26. Hi Paula Diggle – Here in the U.S., a stick of butter is 4 ounces, or 113 grams.

27. This looks so amazing, I have to try it. Love cream cheee-y things. Thanks!

28. Tammy says:

That looks delicious and so easy, can’t wait to try it.

29. Dale says:

Yum. Can’t wait to try this! Thanks for all you share with us.

30. Vickie P says:

When I make the filling I guess I can make it in any color bowl I want this time since you didn’t specify a blue bowl although you show one. Good thing, I don’t have a solid blue bowl! LOL Looks wonderful, can’t wait to try.

31. diana says:

Can this be frozen? It sounds wonderful!!!!!!

32. mafiske says:

I had to laugh when I read your comment about clean copper pennies. My Grandmother actually used copper pennies! She placed them on top of the foil. I use beans!
    I made your tart and it was wonderful. My compliments to the chef!

33. Diana – The pastry crust can be baked and then frozen. But frozen-and-then-thawed strawberries (I think) would be too mushy for delicious eating.

Mafiscke – So glad you tried — and liked — the tart!

34. Carol says:

I still think you should get chickens.

35. Nanci says:

another delis recipe! Thanks toots.

36. Nanelle Adams says:

Another great one! Can’t wait to try . When does your recipe book come out?