Recipe Roundup: Ten Romantic Main Courses

February 11, 2014

NEED SOME DINNER INSPIRATION for Valentine’s Day? Here are ten romantic main courses I’ve served to my One and Only over the years. Most are easy to make, some are vegetarian, and all are guaranteed to please!

Lamb Chops (or Pork Chops) with Rosemary and Mint.  The chops are bathed in mustard, garlic, and fresh, fragrant herbs, and then popped them under the broiler for a few minutes. We’re talking about tender succulence, baby. Here’s the recipe.

Thyme & Wine Beef Stew. This is Cupid’s favorite dish. As it simmers quietly, the stew will fill your kitchen (and probably your entire house, too) with the comforting aromas of thyme, red wine, garlic, and caramelized meat. The recipe.Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic in 30 Minutes. My One and Only still remembers that I served this dish on one of our first dates.  And that was 16 years ago. It’s easy to prepare,e because you don’t have to peel the garlic. The recipe.

Salmon Almondine. Fast. Fragrant.  Gluten-free. And so delicious you will scream. The recipe.

Rustic Bacon & Leek Tart. Thinly-sliced leeks and crisp, crumbled bacon, all snuggled up a bed of ricotta cheese, and encased in tender, flaky, Pate BriseeThe recipe.

Chicken & Lemon Polpettine. These old-world Italian meatballs (they are nothing like American meatballs) are flavored with Parmesan cheese, fragrant herbs, and a big burst of lemon. Their deliciously-crispy crust is something to sing about, too. The recipe.

Timbale of Broccoli. Make this chic and delicious vegetarian dish once, and you’ll make it again and again. It’s light, airy, and scented with nutmeg.  The recipe.

Chicken & Mushrooms in Tarragon Cream.  This is love at first bite. It’s a simple saute of chicken breasts and mushrooms, gloriously-enrobed in a sauce of tarragon and heavy cream. The recipe.

Mushroom, Spinach & Rosemary Tart. A spring symphony of mushrooms and spinach, perfumed to the nines with rosemary and dry French vermouth.  Serve it in front of the fire, as I do, with plentiful goblets of cold white wine. The recipe.

Timbale of Spinach & Ham. Delicious to eat, and elegant to serve. Its texture resembles that of a fine French pâté. The recipe.

Do any of these main courses look tempting to you? You can let me know by leaving a comment. Meanwhile, Happy Valentine’s Day!

Don’t miss anything at A Garden for the House…sign up for Kevin’s weekly email updates!

Comments

1. Jan Evancho says:

OK, it’s official. I’m drooling. I love your recipes, Kevin. Thanks for the inspiration.

2. Robin says:

Your tarts….oooh….your tarts! They’re always a big hit here and I’m thinking we need one for V Day.

3. Rita Chalfant says:

HOW to choose just one or two!??? I think we’ll have Valentine’s month!

4. Cherylann says:

All incredible sounding – definitely will be trying these!

5. Betty says:

Love the sound of the tart. Can almost taste it.

6. Lesley says:

Ooohh! The ham and spinach timbale is calling me!

7. Nora says:

Thank you for putting these recipes all in a row. They are now bookmarked for ease!

8. johanna says:

I love your glutenfree ricipes. Thank you very much.

9. Meg says:

Oh, how I love the chicken in tarragon sauce!!!!!! All your recipes are out of this world just delicious!!!!I would love to win that kettle, my daughter has one, just great!!!

10. Molly says:

Good luck in the coming storm. If Mother Nature was any kind of a gal, she would thank you for so many fabulous recipes and stay home and cook instead of dumping more snow on you!

11. Karen Hermansen says:

I can taste the chicken polpettine and spinach mushroom tart already!

12. Lois Flynn says:

The mushroom, spinach & rosemary sounds wonderful. Definitely will be making that.
    Thank you for sharing your recipes..

13. Sonya says:

Oh my goodness…they all look delicious! I’m leaning toward the chicken and lemon polpettine…they are just so cute and I’d love to learn a new way to enjoy chicken. I appreciate that you shared these with your one and only as something special and will still share with your loyal fans. Hmmmm…I like the rustic mushroom, spinach, and rosemary tart, too…Oh, I don’t know which to try!!! What a wonderful dilemma to have. Thank you, Kevin!

14. Barbara says:

I have prepared several of your tarts for dinners and they are wonderful! — pared with a salad and nice crusty bread, wine, YUM! Anxious to try the chicken lemon polpettine. When will your cookbook be available? Can’t wait!!!
    Barbara

15. Michelle says:

You are so kind and thoughtful! Wishing you cozy, romantic evenings by that beautiful fireplace, and something snazzy to drink, to accompany any of those mouth-watering recipes.
    Warm thoughts and dreaming of spring…your friend in the temperate Bay Area.

16. Tina Knowlton says:

Wow: this officially changes my V-Day entree from venison to chicken with 40 cloves of garlic … or thyme and wine beef stew… no! it will be chicken with mushrooms in tarragon cream sauce! I have a recipe for this in my old British cookbook. It’ll be fun to see if they are much different. I know I’ll have all of your recipes tried before Spring!

17. Kathleen Shoemaker says:

Your dishes all look so delicious ! Thank you for sharing. Now I will have to decide which one to try. Stay safe and warm during the storm.

18. Jill Johnson says:

When is your cookbook coming out? I want one!

19. Trudi Dido says:

aye yi yi …My mouth is watering so much after seeing all these ! I have not made the chicken popletine yet or the brocclli timbale . yum i gotta get some ingredients though and we are
    “iced in ” till Friday .wish me luck ! I”m sorry about the weather coimng your way. I hoped we had worn it out.down here in Ga.

20. PatinVT says:

Wow, you have out done your usual great recipes with this collection. Yum…can’t wait to try them all.

21. Judy says:

Kevin, I’m looking over the chicken polpettine but I have to leave out the parmesan cheese. Do you think I should substitute an egg or do you think they’ll hold together without any substitute?

They sound delicious!

22. DorisO says:

These all look delicious – I have them bookmarked to cook each for dinners soon. Just wish I had seen these before I did my pre-storm grocery shopping!

23. myrtle miller says:

Beautiful spinach dish and the real beauty is that spinach is full of folic acid which is so good for you.

24. Linda Gattiker says:

The vegetarian dishes look incredible! I hope to try them once I’m done with this Fast Metabolism Diet and can have dairy.

25. Annie J says:

We do a similar thing with lamb chops only cook them on the stove in a hot cast iron skillet. Seems to sear in the juices even better than the broiler.
    Thanks for some great recipes!

26. Ellie says:

Ooooh, I want to eat at your house!!

27. kathy passie says:

So maybe I’ll make dinner at home! They all sound fab..
    Have already made the stew,garlic chicken and lemon meatballs.
    Actually, I use the meatballs in Italian wedding soup! AWESOME!
    Thanks Kevin for super recipes!

28. Andie says:

I am making that tart tomorrow. Thank you for that.

xo

Andie

29. Andie says:

Now I can’t decide which tart to make. :)

xo