Easy-Peazy Cheese Crackers (GF)

February 7, 2014

THESE TWO-INGREDIENT CRACKERS are crisp, delicious, and elegant. I wouldn’t hesitate to serve them at a swanky cocktail gathering.  They make terrific after-school snacks, too. In fact, your kids will probably leap at the chance to help you make them. Ready for some fun? Let’s make these cheesy good things!

First, select the cheese you want. Hard cheeses like Asiago (above) and Parmesan make the crispiest crackers. But I’ve made crackers from semi-soft types like cheddar and Swiss, and these were dang delicious, too.

Oh. The Dairy Queen just stopped by to say “hello.” She performs cartwheels whenever cheese in on the menu.

Then shred the cheese into a fluffy mountain.

Next, line a cookie sheet with baking parchment (or Silpat)…

And place tablespoon-size mounds of cheese about 2 inches apart on the  baking sheet.

Use the back of the spoon (or your impeccably clean fingers) to gently flatten each mound.

And now comes the fateful decision: Should we leave these mounds as they are — or to season them with herbs and spices?

The decision is entirely yours.For this afternoon’s cocktail party (which I hope you’ll attend), I sprinkled some of the Asiago with smoked paprika…

And others with a pinch of thyme leaves.

The remaining Asiago received just a touch of tarragon.

The crackers made with cheddar were dusted with freshly-ground black pepper…

Or Chipotle chile pepper…

Or dried rosemary leaves.

To bake, just pop the works into the oven, and let them cook until they color slightly — 8-9 minutes.

Then let the crackers cool for just a moment, before sliding them off the parchment and onto a wire rack. They will crisp up even more  as they cool.

I’m holding this Asiago cracker up to the window so you can see its lacy countenance.

And are you thinking what I’m thinking? These crackers could be floated in a bowl of hot soup.

But we’re not having soup just now. We’re are having cocktails, and munching on fragrant, delicious cheese crackers.

Ready for a taste?

Here’s a copy-and-paste version of the above recipe:

Easy-Peazy Cheese Crackers
Kevin Lee Jacobs
Ingredients for about 12 2-inch diameter appetizers
6 oz hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Asiago, shredded
Herbs, such as dried thyme leaves, or spices such as smoked paprika

Equipment:
A baking sheet, lined with either baking parchment or Silpat

Set oven rack to the center position; preheat the oven to 375°F.

Place tablespoon-size mounds of shredded cheese 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheet. Gently flatten the mounds with the back of a spoon or with your finger. Sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice.

Bake in preheated oven until the cheese melts and colors slightly — 8-9 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

The crackers can be made a day in advance, if covered with a paper towel and stored and at room temperature. (In my experience, they will not remain crisp if stored in a plastic bag.)

Enjoy the crackers as a snack or a cocktail appetizer. Or, float them in bowls of hot soup.

Think you’ll try these low-carb, gluten-free crisps? You can let me know by leaving a comment. As always, Lily and I love to hear from you.

Don’t miss anything at A Garden for the House…sign up for Kevin’s weekly email updates!

More Cocktail Appetizers:
Onion & Asiago Rounds
Chive Pesto
Bacon-Wrapped Grissini

Comments

1. Diane S says:

OMG–I’ve died and gone to heaven! These look delicious!

2. Bobbie Floyd says:

Oh yes! I have to try these.

3. DFW says:

Those look beautiful & deliious. How long will they last if put in air tight containers?

4. Sharon says:

Why wasn’t this posted yesterday so I could make them to go with the chicken noodle soup I made for dinner last night? Seriously, they look yummy.

5. Linda says:

I m going to make some right now!,,

6. DFW – They stay crispy for a day or two if kept at room temperature, wrapped in a paper towel. In my experience, they lose their crispness if stored in an airtight container.

Linda – Hope you’ll let me know how they turned out for you, and what — if any — seasonings you added to them. Enjoy!

7. Julie B says:

What a clever idea, Kevin! I can hardly wait to try these.

Sorry to miss cocktails this afternoon but we were snowbound (as were some of my clients whom I thus spent the day trying to speed on their way to Hawaii and other more pleasant climes).

8. trish drake says:

very yummy Kevin. made some tonight with the last of my parmesan

9. Christie says:

Kevin, I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate the time and effort you put into your blog. Every time I check into FaceBook, I look for another insightful and fun post by you. Thanks SO very much for your recipes, gardening, and design tips! You rock!

10. Sally says:

I’ve been making these for years as a low carb treat. But I love your extras !

11. Joan says:

Kevin, I, too so appreciate your wonderful blog. It’s just sooo much fun. I have made the crackers before and love them. Kinda forgot about them lately, so now back in to the kitchen I go.

12. Joan C says:

What Christie said.

13. Marie says:

Absolutely!! Gotta give em a try! Thanks!!!

14. Susan says:

You absolutely read my mind. I had seen crackers similar to this in the grocery store and thought… Hmm I could make thiose! Bought the cheese and was about to search for a recipe when yours arrived in my inbox this morning. Will be making these today and will float on my meatball soup tonight! Thanks.

15. Amy says:

I will be treating my family to these tonight and sprinkling Harissa on top.

16. johanna says:

Thank you for this g.v recept. I love your site. I wil tray this one. Mmm.

17. Debbie says:

Low carb ? WHO CARES when something taste as good as these do!
    *swoon*

18. JaneM says:

I bought these in the grocery store last week and learned from a guest that they’re known as Frico, Italian cheese crisps. There’s even lyrics singing their praises to the tune of Super Freak, lol!

19. Helga G says:

Look absolutely Yummy. Have to make these next weekend when my Grand Children are coming for their “Sleep-Over”. 1 dozen? No way!!! Probably have to be at least 4 :-) if I want even just one. I have “3 Cheese Rats”

20. JaneM says:

PS I paid $4+ for 3 oz, had no idea how easy they are to make, thanks!!

21. Judy says:

I saw this recipe last night and tried them for lunch today. I added several toppings; caraway seeds, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper (too spicy for my taste), tarragon, & dill.

I would make them again to serve to anyone.

22. Rosemarie says:

I’ve been these for years (well, not too often cuz they just don’t last – we can’t resist having “just one more”
    I’ve kept some in a covered tin – and even though they aren’t that crisp – the are still “to die for”
    Can also pop them back into a hot oven to re-crisp
    Thanks for reminding me to make some
    We are having lots of cold, snowy weather which mean homemade soup in this house.!

23. Beverly, zone 6, eastern PA says:

Wonderful, AGAIN !!
    I envy your endless ideas and your patience for composing the photo essays.
    A visual learner’s delight.

24. Annie B says:

Yum. Yes. This week!

25. betsy says:

you have such neat things to fix to eat and the dairy queen knows when something smell good and is. will definitely try these, will be a hit with family.
    betsy

26. Carolyn says:

I have made these before and they are quite decadent, if you love cheese. Bisous, our French Brittany Spaniel joins Lily at the table whenever cheese appears. My question echoes one already posted. How can I keep them for more than a day? They are for a party on Sunday.

Thanks for including some gluten free.

27. Cindy Pack says:

Just enjoyed these! All I had was sharp cheddar, but with a tad of cayenne pepper on some and a little pinch of real bacon bits on others, it will definitely be a repeater, only next time, I plan the pepper AND the bacon in all!!! Thank you for a Sunday yummo!

28. Gorgeous! I’m on it!

29. Kathryn says:

Love these. Thank you for the inspiration.
    HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY to you.

30. Yvonne says:

Using some on my minestrone for dinner tonight! Thanks!!

31. sheri says:

these are wonderful! they even make canned soup taste wonderful:)

32. Brenda Gendron says:

During the summer, I pick fresh zucchini from the garden & grill slices on my cast iron griddle. I also make parmesan cheese crisps on the same griddle….great lunch combo!! Come on, Spring!

33. Cilla says:

I am going to make these when I host my book club! It isn’t until March, but this is my first time hosting since joining…and I have GF people and also sugar free people! lol Any ideas on a sweet for the group that is sugar free also beside fresh fruit…they all do fresh fruit!

34. Jeri Erman says:

I made these this afternoon after I read the recipe! I only cooked them for 8 minutes and they ended up being a little more on the chewy side rather than crisp. Next time I will go for 9 minutes. I used grated parmesan with italian seasonings (wonderful) and also did a couple of just plain “mexican” grated cheese (cheddar, asiago, monteray jack). I liked them both! Always looking for a nice snack idea and have been making a lot of soups this winter so this will be nice to accompany those!!

35. Joann says:

Will try this one for sure!!! Lily is as sweet looking as ever!!

36. Kay says:

Kevin thanks for all the great GF recipes, & I’m sure your friends appreciate them when they come to your fabulous parties! (I hope you’re not including them because you or your partner have become gluten intolerant…. it’s no fun!) Thanks again!

37. della says:

Going to try these. LV easy items to make. LV ur site.

38. Cheryl says:

Yum…these are happening tonight! Heating up my homemade vegie soup and these will be just perfect as a crispy side. To heck with the bread!

39. Pam says:

These are great! Thank you for the easy peasy recipe! I did the cheddar, as that is what is in the fridge now. Parmesan is next!

40. Robin says:

BEWARE GLUTEN FREE EATERS!! Not all soft cheeses are gluten free. Please check the label before preparing for gluten free friends : )

41. Hi Robin – Which cheeses contain gluten? The hard and semi-soft types I use for crackers (as described in the recipe above) are all gluten-free.

42. David says:

These look so good thank you for sharing this with us all

43. Terri says:

Kevin, My favorite is swiss cheese would that work for this? And also your homemade cream cheese recipe would that work well to make cheesecakes?

44. susan says:

You can make these quickly on a George Foreman grill as well and curl them around a wooden spoon handle to make functional (that fit on the edge of a soup bowl) or entertaining (rippled, cylindrical, fan) shapes.

45. Jen says:

Wow. You’re like a god….

46. Sw33tchef says:

Awesome! The oven is preheating now. I have Parm w/tarragon, Asiago w/Chipotle, Romano w/thyme. My husband off gluten so this is a nice little treat. I’m also making the chive pesto, but need more than I have so adding some fresh parsley to make it up. Hubby’s making fried oysters when he comes home.
    I know these recipes will become favourites with our group. I entertain (cook and bake from scratch) a lot so I’m always looking for new ideas. Thank you, Kevin. You inspire me.
    I even went outside and trimmed off suckers from my tomato plants after reading your advice. Picked a whole big colander of lettuce, mixed greens and spinach. I’m getting hungry….gotta run!

47. Janet Brug says:

Thank you for starting to post gluten free recipes. I truly appreciate it as I have been diagnosed with celiac disease and have to be 100% gluten free.

48. sherry kanoski says:

these are perfect for Atkins dieters….I have made them in a frying pan, too. So good, and so No CARB!

49. Cathy says:

I make these Easy Peazy Crackers and when they are ready to come out of the oven, use a
    spatula to gently, quickly pick them up and lay over the bottom of a glass, let cool and they have formed a shell for your favorite salad. Good, Good!!!

50. Geraldine Baldwin says:

Hi:
    I made these yummies last night. They were delish, but not crispy. What did I do wrong?
    Thanks

51. Hi Geraldine – I don’t know what kind of cheese you used, but for the crispiest cheese crackers, use a hard type like Parmesan or Asiago. Also — use only a thin layer of shredded cheese — if too thick the crackers will be good, but not crispy.