Downton Abbey Quiz: The Answers!

January 1, 2013

I’D LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU WHO PARTICIPATED in my recent Downton Abbey Quiz. The answers to the quiz, a few statistics, and finally, the winner’s name (chosen at random from all entries):

Q: What historical event triggers the first season of Downton Abbey?
A: The sinking of the Titanic
77% of you answered this question correctly

Q: Why does Thomas, the first footman, resent John Bates, the valet?
A: Because Thomas wants to be a valet, not a footman
92% answered this question correctly

Q: What does Turkish diplomat Kemal Pamuk do that causes a great stir at Downton Abbey?
A: He dies in Lady Mary’s bed
96% chose the correct answer

Q: What does John Bates catch Thomas stealing?
A: Wine from the cellar
88% chose the correct answer

Q: Why does Lord Grantham send Mrs. Patmore to London?
A: So she can have cataract surgery
87% chose the correct answer

Q: What does the Dowager Countess refuse to have in her home?
A: Electricity
52% chose the correct answer.
43% chose “telephone”
5% chose “alcohol of any kind”

Q: Who composed Downton Abbey’s musical theme?
A: John Lunn
38% of you chose the correct answer

Q: Of what political persuasion is the chauffeur Branson?
A: Socialist
I’m proud to say that 78% of you chose the correct answer

Q: Which servant was once a member of a vaudeville act called “The Cheerful Charlies”?
A: Carson, the Butler
88% chose the correct answer

Q: Before he became heir to Downton Abbey, Mathew Crawley worked as:
A: An attorney
81% of you chose the correct answer

Q: In which stately home is most of Downton Abbey filmed?
A: Highclere Castle
64% of you chose the correct answer

Q: Housekeeper Mrs. Hughes turned down a marriage proposal from:
A: A farmer
81% answered this question correctly

Q: What is the name of Lord Grantham’s dog?
A: Isis
71% chose the correct answer

Q: In season one, which word does the Dowager Countess not know the meaning of?
A: Weekend
62% chose the correct answer
20% chose “motor car”
18% chose “job”

Q: Why did William have to iron Lord Grantham’s morning newspaper?
A: To insure the ink was dry
58% chose the correct answer
40% chose “to remove creases from the paper”
2% chose “to impress his Lordship”

Q: What is Lady Cora doing when we first meet her in Season One, Episode One?
A: She’s having breakfast in bed
53% chose the correct answer
34% chose “She’s reviewing the dinner menu with Mrs. Hughes”
14% chose “She’s pruning roses”

The winner, chosen at random from all the entries regardless of score, is Amy G. Congratulations, Amy, you’ve won a $25 Amazon.com gift card! Check your email for a note from me.

And here’s a question for you: Would you like to see a monthly quiz-feature here at A Garden for the House? You can let me know by leaving a comment.

Who’s Winter-Sowing this Year?
A Perfect Strawberry Jelly Roll
Potato Croquettes

Comments

1. Susan H says:

Loved the quiz. Thanks. This is almost as good as your posts and picture. Thanks for the great reads and ideas. Sure more quizzes are always welcome.

2. Kimberly says:

i like the quiz but i didn’t know anything about that show, maybe something everyone would know about. thanks

3. Barbara says:

Yes, the quiz was fun. Thanks!

4. Tammy says:

Kevin, I stumbled across this a few minutes ago…have you seen it? Fun!

5. Tammy – Excellent!

6. Sandy says:

Tammy….so fun. Took the quiz and I’d be Elizabeth Crawley.

Kevin did you know there is Downton Abbey cookbook? A monthly quiz would be great!

7. Dulce says:

It was very entertaining, and also I could tell that I do not pay close attention when I watch the series. Yet I love Downton Abby, and I loved being part of your Quiz. I would enjoy participating in a monthly quiz. Have a Great 2013, and thank-you for all your great articles!

8. Charlotte says:

Loved the Abbey Quiz

9. mushy peas says:

the quiz was so much fun; yes, i’d love further quizzes!

10. Vicki says:

Why sure, a monthly quiz could be a lot of fun, and perhaps show us how little we know? or how smart we are, as we think we are!! ha ha!!! Thanks, this was a great one, and tonight is the night, starts again! Downtown Abbey, here we come!

11. Janet Ortega says:

Yes, another quiz would be fun.

12. Ruth says:

Kevin look what I found, you are going to love it! :)

13. Ruth – Thanks for the link. Stunning. Just stunning.

Thanks for making me aware of this show. I watched season 3′s premiere last night and was drawn in instantly. Love it. Wish I would’ve seen the first two seasons. I think I would have particularly enjoyed the blossoming of the relationship between Sybil and Tom. I think I’ve got the lay of the land, but still not sure of all the character motivations, but that will just make this season more fun. I set my DVR last night to record the series.

15. Barbara Zakrzewski says:

I like quizzes, even if my answers are not right. I do love Downton Abbey! It reminds me of the Upstairs, Downstairs Series for a while back.

16. Elaine says:

I think that’s a great idea!

17. Meg says:

Yes, loved it.

18. gabrielle luster says:

I love the quiz – keep ‘em coming! What a great show.

19. Naomi Shelton says:

Oh, my God, are they going to kill Matthew off, too?!! I don’t like it at all!

20. Candi says:

Quizzes are fun. Downtown Abbey is not my thing, but I enjoy quizzes. I can always guess.

21. Candi says:

I took the which character are you most like quiz Tammy mentioned above three times because I’m always lousy with multiple choice what would you do quizzes. They either don’t have an answer that really fits me or they don’t give enough background for me to say. This one wasnt too difficult though. Anyway, I came up with Isobel Crawley twice and Edith Crawley once. Then I read the descriptions of each character. I’d say I’m a cross between the two. Interesting.

22. debbie says:

here’s a viewing tip for Downton Abby…

put on the captions on your tv. this really helps when they are a bit hard to understand or are using British slang or humor