Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

August 6, 2012

CAN I TELL YOU A LITTLE SECRET? I’m crazy about Blue Cheese Dressing. It’s my favorite dipping-sauce for everything from raw veggies to French fries. I prefer it to vinaigrette for dressing lettuce greens, especially if I’m drinking wine while eating those greens. (Unlike vinaigrette, blue cheese doesn’t kill the taste of wine.) My version of this sauce is both garlicky and lemony, and better than anything you can buy in a bottle:

Blue Cheese Dressing
Ingredients for about 1 1/4 cups of dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup high-quality mayonnaise
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
Seasonings: a big pinch of salt, and several grinds of black pepper
4 ounces (1/2 cup) firm blue cheese, crumbled
1 Tablespoon finely-minced parsley, divided
Optional: 2 Tablespoons sour cream (if a thicker sauce is desired)

Special Equipment – A food processor, outfitted with the metal blade

1. Pour buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and the minced garlic into the bowl of your food processor. Blend until perfectly smooth — about 5 seconds.

You’re probably itching to know much much fat is in this dressing.

I refuse to tell you.

But I will tell you that half of one medium-sized lemon will render 1 tablespoon of juice.

And that if you wrap the lemon in a small piece of paper towel before squeezing, you won’t have to worry about seeds falling into your sauce.

2. Using a knife, cut the wedge of blue cheese into fat strips. Then, using your fingers, crumble up each strip.

3. Dump the cheese crumbles into the food processor, and pulse until blended. You want the cheese to remain a little chunky.

4. Pour the dressing into a pretty bowl. If the sauce seems a little thin for your liking, stir in 2 Tablespoons of sour cream.

5. Stir in half the minced parsley; sprinkle the other half for garnish.

Refrigerate for at least one hour.

How amazing is this Blue Cheese Dressing? Well, let’s just say that if Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance were advertising it on television, I can assure you that Lucy — posing as “an average housewife randomly selected from the studio audience” — would gulp it down. Yes, it’s that amazing.

Refrigerated, the sauce will keep for up to five days. But if you use it as I do — for raw veggies, lettuce-greens, and as a delicious spread for a hamburger (who needs ketchup?) it will probably last you no more than 24 hours.

Need a copy-and-paste version of the above recipe? Here goes:

Blue Cheese Dressing
Kevin Lee Jacobs, A Garden for the House
Ingredients for about 1 1/4 cups of pure deliciousness
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup high-quality mayonnaise
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
Seasonings: a big pinch of salt, and several grinds of black pepper
4 ounces (1/2 cup) firm blue cheese, crumbled
1 Tablespoon finely-minced parsley, divided
Optional: 2 Tablespoons sour cream (if a thicker sauce is desired)

Special Equipment – A food processor, outfitted with the metal blade
Pour buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and minced garlic into the bowl of your food processor. Process until perfectly smooth — about 5 seconds. Add the cheese, and pulse just until blended. The cheese should remain fairly chunky. Pour into an attractive serving bowl. If the sauce seems too thin for your liking, stir in the optional sour cream. Then stir in half the parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Garnish with remaining parsley. Refrigerated, the sauce will keep for up to 5 days.

Think you’ll try this recipe? Perhaps you’ll  let me know by leaving a comment.

Greek-style Yogurt
Lettuce & Lovage Soup
Decadent Cream Cheese Frosting

Comments

1. Marie says:

Garlilc and buttermilk? And a comparison to the salad dressing that Lucy and Ethel sold? count me in!!!

2. Glad to hear that, Marie!

3. Susan Johnson says:

ohhhhh can’t wait to try it. I love blue cheese dressing. Thanks

4. Erin says:

I am always in search of the perfect blue cheese dressing recipe. Maybe this is it! My daughters love it when they find washed and crisped up romaine in the fridge. They grab a leaf of romaine, spoon on some dressing and then eat in hand.

5. Cary Bradley says:

Hi Kevin! When I saw your title, I thought about my grandmother’s recipe which is the best I’ve ever had. Reading your description, I think it is really very similar, and sounds FABULOUS too! I am a blue cheese addict too, so I know from whence I speak ;) ! Cannot wait to try your luscious-sounding recipe. Thanks for sharing! P.S. Are you enjoying standard-sized tomatoes yet? Just had our first and it was amazing! Have a great day, my friend.

6. S Lovina says:

Hi Kevin, I love the paper towel around the lemon trick. I made the cream cheese frosting last week for a family reunion – it was a hit. Thanks!

7. Sheri Rice says:

I love the paper towel trick, but I also have to sing the praises of Williams Sonoma’s lovely citrus juicer. It prevents seeds from falling in and also gets every last bit of juice. Yes, it costs $20, but it will last forever. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/chefn-citrus-juicer-press/

8. Susan & Erin – Blue cheese rocks!

Cary – As a matter of fact, I picked my first fully-ripened ‘Cherokee Purple’ just this morning. Enjoyed it sliced and topped with the leftover bluecheese dressing!

S Lovina – So glad to hear you tried — and liked — the cream cheese frosting.

Sheri – Looks like a gadget I should have. Will order! Thanks for the tip — and the link.

9. MicronCat says:

on my way to EarthFare for blue cheese RIGHT NOW.

10. MicronCat says:

DRATS! I came in here (to my computer, then to your website) to get your cream cheese frosting recipe, and you DISTRACTED ME with blue cheese. FOILED AGAIN! Now to go find the cream cheese recipe…

11. MicronCat – While you’re at it, grab some cheddar cheese, too. Then you can make my latest recipe — Classic Tomato Pie!

12. Amy Simonson says:

Me too! I love blue cheese dressing on everything, especially with wine! This looks fabulous! Thank you!

13. MicronCat says:

Hey Kevin – I’m sitting here eating a salad covered in your dressing. I used a smoked blue cheese instead of “plain” blue cheese. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Thanks!

14. Hi Amy – I agree — blue cheese rules!

MicronCat – So glad you tried (and liked!) the dressing. I’ll bet it’s extra-extra delicious with smoked blue cheese.

15. melody says:

And I’ll have an old fashioned to go with Aunt Martha’s dressing. Sounds delish!

16. Valerie C. says:

My favorite dressing, now the best recipe. I’m certain it will be wonderful. Thanks for another great one!

17. melody – Do you remember that episode of I Love Lucy? I can’t remember if Lucy or Ethel ever said what, exactly, was in Aunt Martha’s dressing. All I know is that it was white…and that they were losing money on every bottle they sold!

Valerie C. – Great! I hope you’ll try the dressing when you have a chance.

18. Jody says:

YUMMMMM I cant wait to try this. If I buy buttermilk, do you think I could freeze it in portions so I would always have it ready to go? I DO remember the I Love Lucy show, and I loved it!
    One of my other favorites were when they were in Europe? and got to stompin the grapes for the vino :)

Thanks for the great recipe and the memories!

19. Hi Jody – You can freeze buttermilk for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge and then shake vigorously before using.

Another option is to buy powdered buttermilk — then you can simply mix up what you need.

In an emergency you can add vinegar or lemon to regular milk to make something akin to buttermilk. But this, from reports I’ve read, is more suited to baking than fresh drinking, or for such things as Blue Cheese Dressing. Always better to use the real deal, either powdered or fresh!

20. Sean OBrien says:

Made this early this morning and just had a taste. It’s delicious. I may have added just a tad too much garlic (it was a huge clove) so I will go a bit easier on that. I lightened it up a tiny bit by using reduced fat mayonnaise and greek yogurt instead of sour cream since that’s all I had.

Great recipe. You are right, I will never by store bought again.

By the way, the paper towel tip for squeezing lemons? Best cooking tip this year for me! Thank you!

21. Sean OBrien – Well, that is music to my ears. In truth, I used a large garlic clove, too. Gave the sauce a certain “zing.”

22. RA James says:

Going to make it right now…definitely like it thick and I am trying to remember the substitute for buttermilk that someone once told me… thanks for the recipe!

23. lisa marie says:

Thank you for this recipe. My Husband and I had a dinner party for 20 at our house for an annual Christmas party it was a hit. I had never tried to make it myself but it has always been one of our favorites. We served it over a tomato and onion salad with thick sliced hickory smoked bacon on top whole not crumbled. Amazing. I made it a day ahead i always think salad dressing needs to be made ahead to allow the flavors to come together. It will go into my recipe book to serve for my family and friends. Thank You again

24. Hi lisa marie – So glad you tried — and liked — the dressing. Your description of the salad made my mouth water!

25. Ryan R. says:

Made this dressing for Super Bowl 47 party I had.
    We used it as a dipping sauce for our wings. Was
    Super yummy. Thanks for the great recipe.
    Everyone at the party loved it!!

26. beth says:

Thank you for this recipe! My life is crazy busy wiith twins, 2 cats, and a husband who was hungry and ready to eat! Dinner was done the salad made…..that is when I realized I was out of Blue cheese dressing, but I did have a nice wedge of Fresh Blue Cheese! I did a quick Google search and found your web site. I whipped up your fantastic dressing, I must admit I didn’t have any lemon and used powered buttermilk (as that’s what I had in the fridge) and it still came out great. Thank you Kevin!

The best part isn’t even this recipe……….Tomorrow night I’m making a red velvet cake for our local Police dept (where I’ve been a volunteer for many years) and didn’t have a cream cheese frosting recipe yet, and as I scrolled down to finish reading the blue cheese recipe I saw the link to your Decadent Cream Cheese Frosting which I will make in the morning. Thank you for saving my butt twice in one day!

27. pam says:

Kevin….just found your website…..I made a dressing with mayo & sour crème, but made way too much! ….do you know if I can freeze it? thanks! and I will now be subscribing to your website!
    Pam

28. Hi Pam – I don’t think this dressing will freeze well (because mayo doesn’t freeze well). In any event, I’m so glad you decided to sign up for my website updates!

29. Pam says:

Great recipe!!! Love it with sticks of veggies. At least I don’t feel so guilty eating it! Thanks Kevin!