Forewarned is Forearmed: Home Garden Veggies in the Monsanto/Seminis Catalogue

February 21, 2012

IF YOU ARE THE KIND OF GARDENER who buys vegetable seeds or seedlings (including tomato plants) from a local garden center, as I sometimes do, beware the varieties you select. Otherwise, you could very well be putting money into the hands of the wretched Monsanto Corporation. Forewarned is forearmed, right? Here is the list of Seminis/Monsanto home-garden vegetable varieties, and yes, it even includes zucchini:

I’m going to print out this list, and keep a copy in my wallet. This way I won’t be caught off-guard the next time I decide to impulse-shop at a big-box garden center:

Beans: Aliconte, Brio, Bronco, Cadillac, Ebro, Etna, Eureka, Festina, Gina, Goldmine, Goldenchild, Labrador, Lynx, Magnum, Matador, Spartacus, Storm, Strike, Stringless Blue Lake 7, Tapia, Tema

Broccoli: Coronado Crown, Major, Packman

Cabbage: Atlantis, Golden Acre, Headstart, Platinum Dynasty, Red Dynasty

Carrot: Bilbo, Envy, Forto, Juliana, Karina, Koroda PS, Royal Chantenay, Sweetness III

Cauliflower: Cheddar, Minuteman

Cucumber: Babylon, Cool Breeze Imp., Dasher II, Emporator, Eureka, Fanfare HG, Marketmore 76, Mathilde, Moctezuma, Orient Express II, Peal, Poinsett 76, Salad Bush, Sweet Slice, Sweet Success PS, Talladega

Eggplant: Black Beauty, Fairytale, Gretel, Hansel, Lavender Touch, Twinkle, White Lightening

Hot Pepper: Anaheim TMR 23, Ancho Saint Martin, Big Bomb, Big Chile brand of Sahuaro, Caribbean Red, Cayenne Large Red Thick, Chichen Itza, Chichimeca, Corcel, Garden Salsa SG, Habanero, Holy Mole brand of Salvatierro, Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot, Ixtapa X3R, Lapid, Mariachi brand of Rio de Oro, Mesilla, Milta, Mucho Nacho brand of Grande, Nainari, Serrano del Sol brand of Tuxtlas, Super Chile, Tam Vera Cruz

Lettuce: Braveheart, Conquistador

Melon: Early Dew, Sante Fe, Saturno

Onion: Candy, Cannonball, Century, Red Zeppelin, Savannah Sweet, Sierra Blanca, Sterling, Vision

Pumpkin: Applachian, Harvest Moon, Jamboree HG, Orange Smoothie, Phantom, Prize Winner, Rumbo, Snackface, Spirit, Spooktacular, Trickster

Spinach: Hellcat

Squash: Ambassador, Canesi, Clarita, Commander, Dixie, Early Butternut, Gold Rush, Grey Zucchini, Greyzini, Lolita, Papaya Pear, Peter Pan, Portofino, President, Richgreen Hybrid Zucchini, Storr’s Green, Sungreen, Sunny Delight, Taybelle PM

Sweet Corn: Devotion, Fantasia, Merit, Obession, Passion, Temptation

Sweet Pepper: Baron, Bell Boy, Big Bertha PS, Biscayne, Blushing Beauty, Bounty, California Wonder 300, Camelot, Capistrano, Cherry Pick, Chocolate Beauty, Corno Verde, Cubanelle W, Dumpling brand of Pritavit, Early Sunsation, Flexum, Fooled You brand of Dulce, Giant Marconi, Gypsy, Jumper, Key West, King Arthur, North Star, Orange Blaze, Pimiento Elite, Red Knight, Satsuma, Socrates, Super Heavyweight, Sweet Spot

Tomato: Amsterdam, Beefmaster, Betterboy, Big Beef, Burpee’s Big Boy, Caramba, Celebrity, Cupid, Early Girl, Granny Smith, Health Kick, Husky Cherry Red, Jetsetter brand of Jack, Lemon Boy, Margharita, Margo, Marmande VF PS, Marmara, Patio, Phoenix, Poseidon 43, Roma VF, Royesta, Sun Sugar, Super Marzano, Sweet Baby Girl, Tiffany, Tye-Dye, Viva Italia, Yaqui

Watermelon: Apollo, Charleston Grey, Crimson Glory, Crimson Sweet, Eureka, Jade Star, Mickylee, Olympia

Note: Not all of the veggie varieties in the above list are Monsanto/Seminis exclusives. Consequently if you spot some of these varieties in the catalog of an heirloom seed-seller,  just check with the seller to make sure the seeds were not purchased from  Seminis/Monsanto. But if you find these seeds on a rack at a big-box garden center, you have every right to suspect they were purchased from the evil empire.

That’s quite a catalog, huh? No wonder Monsanto paid $1.4 billion in cash to acquire Seminis Seeds. You can see the catalog for yourself on Seminis’s own website.

Don’t be embarrassed if you’ve inadvertently planted some of these varieties in your garden. As you might recall, one summer I innocently planted ‘Early Girl’ tomatoes. Believe me, I won’t be casting that vote again.

The Easy Kitchen Garden
Winter-Sowing 101
Got Weeds? Use Vinegar, Not Round-up
Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Veggie Patch
From Parking Lot to Rose Garden

Comments

1. Kelsie says:

Marketmore 76? Really? Why does Baker Creek Heirlooms sell it as an heirloom variety?!?! Now I’m just confused. :(

2. Neal says:

Interesting. I just purchased Marketmore 76 seeds from a “Heirloom” seed company.

3. Kelsie and Neal – Yep, Marketmore 76 belongs to Seminis/Monsanto. Surprised me too. You can see it here http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_cucumber.asp

They also own the popular ‘Cheddar’ cauliflower, which John Scheeper sells.

4. Teresa says:

These are just varieties owned by Monsanto – not necessarily GMO seeds, right? Not that they couldn’t modify them at some point. It is quite confusing.

5. Teresa – Just owned by Monsanto.

6. I’ve just added a footnote to Marketmore 76 cucumber. Seminis/Monsanto does not have an exclusive on the variety. But to make sure you are not supporting the evil empire, ask your seed-seller where, exactly, he or she obtained the seeds.

7. Thanks for the list. I noticed that Burpee was selling Heirloom Tomato seeds. Black Krim was one of them. Does Monsanto own Burpee?

8. Amateur Garden – Monsanto does not own Burpee. However, Burpee buys a number of seeds from Seminis/Monsanto.

9. Rachel says:

Ugh… I realize now that I planted some a few years ago and have kept the seeds going each year. Unfortunately, I am not very good about labeling my seeds so now I think I will have to toss all my seeds and start over again :-(

10. Rachel – Take heart! They received money from you only one time.

11. Donna B. says:

Noooooo… of this entire list I purchased [last year] the Mickeylee Watermelon from Botanical Interests! Noooooo… but I’ll still grow/plant it – because I only have like, three seeds left [last year was a major fail in the melon department] so it’s mainly to; 1:> Attempt growing melons again, and 2:> Use up the seed.
    This list is incredibaly helpful! Thank you Kevin! I’ll also print out a copy to assist me when I do my seed ordering this week! ♥
    [Although none of the names are standing out to me, so I think I'm good so far...]

12. Donna B. – Yessss. Mickylee Watermelon was developed by Seminis. But you are right not to waste your seeds. Good luck with your melon-growing this summer!

13. Cheri says:

That is a long list, Is there seller that offer everything but this. I would pay extra for that convenience. :)

14. Cheri – Reputable organic/heirloom sellers do not offer Seminis/Monsanto seeds. You can find such sellers here: My Favorite Seed Suppliers…& Yours.

15. DBarr says:

If it helps, try not to buy hybrids.

16. Farmer John says:

The seed varieties you have purchased as “heirlooms” from heirloom or organic seed companies are “NOT” GMO seeds, even though they are technically “owned” by Monsanto. That we know of, the only GMO vegetable seeds available for sale today are new hybrid varieties of zucchini and summer squash, but I don’t have a list of those specific squash varieties to share today.

It would be nice to have this clarified, but my understanding is that Monsanto only owns the Trademark for many of these “heirloom” varieties – preventing new company’s from naming new varieties with these or similar names – and attempting to prevent lucrative sales by these other companies trying to leverage the heirloom name and consumer loyalty for those heirloom varieties.

If you have leftover seeds of Marketmore 76 or any of these other varieties, do not be afraid to plant them. Monsanto will only benefit from consumers buying these varieties from companies that are stocking seeds purchased directly from Monsanto or one of its distributors (eg. big box stores, and the big commercial seed companies that are not committed to growing and selling organic heirloom varieties.)

The true lesson here for all of us to remember is that the game has changed. Monsanto and others are going to actively introduce new GMO vegetable seeds as long as it is legal, and the only reliable assurance of true “heirloom” and non-GMO seeds, are “Certified Organic” seeds most commonly sold by the smaller seed companies like High Mowing, Baker Creek, Botanical, etc…

17. dnthoma says:

thanks for this article-oober helpful!!!

I am wondering if you have more information on habanero? So ANY habanero that I buy (unless Cert. OG?) are from Monsanto?? Any link to read more?? Thank you for the helpful informtaion!!

18. Sean says:

There are a lot more seeds than those listed above that Monsanto owns. They claim to have over 2,000 varieties of 20 species of vegetables. But thanks for the heads up!

19. nancy says:

This is a misleading list, because a lot of companies save their seeds, and they are not buying them from Monsanto. For example, Baker Creek is not buying seeds from Monsanto! Monsanto is truly evil, but not all plants and seeds sold under these names are from Monsanto. :/

20. Thanks for this list! I’m happy to report that only my Marketmore 76 cucumbers are on it. Since I ordered from Baker Creek I feel confident that I’m safe, at least for now!

21. Rachel Hoff says:

I have to agree with Nancy that this list is misleading. For example the Habanero, Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot and the Charleston Gray are all OP varieties that are not “owned” (i.e. patented) by anyone and are just varieties that Seminis sells. There are heirloom companies (like Baker Creek who does NOT sell Seminis seeds) that sell these seeds as well but actually grow and save the seed themselves. I think it’s important that we make the distinction clear because we don’t want to inadvertently hurt the companies that are doing good work.

22. foodfighter66 says:

Hi there,

I’m interested to know where you got this list? For instance ‘Black Beauty’ is an heirloom eggplant variety. Also, there’s no way that all Habanero & Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers are Monsanto. I think it is careless to make blanket statements like these w/out giving your source of info. Also, just because it is a Monsanto seed does not mean that it is GM. Hybrid seed is not the same thing as GM seed. With that said, this is why I save all my own seed or buy from Seed Savers Exchange or Baker Creek Heirlooms.

23. Raven says:

Golden Acre cabbage is heirloom, so I don’t know why it’s on this list. It’s non-hybrid/non-GMO and is offered by many heirloom seed companies. ?

24. foodfighter66 — A list of these “products” can be found here: http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_products.asp

25. Bar 7R Ranch says:

I am confused. I’ve been very careful in selecting my seeds from companies like Baker Creek that take the safe seed pledge. So if Baker Creek carries a variety on this list it is not GMO and they do not buy from Monsanto or it’s holdings…Do they pay a royalty of sorts to Monsanto to produce and sell it? I’m trying to avoid sending so much as one cent to Monsanto because of the economic and biologic damage that their products, poor ethics and politics cause. For now I will avoid anything on this list from ANY supplier.
    HELP!

26. Bar7R Ranch — I think a lot of folks missed what I said in the opening paragraph of this post: “If you buy vegetable seeds/plants from a garden center…

You are pretty safe buying seeds from reputable dealers like Baker Creek. The fact that Seminis/Monsanto sells seeds does not imply that those seeds are GM. It simply means that if you buy them from a garden center (Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart etc. all do business with Seminis) then you are probably putting money into the hands of Monsanto.

Hope that clears things up!

27. Bar 7R and everyone else who’s concerned about the OP/Heirloom/Organic seed they have with these or similar names – just call your seed house. I have called Johnny’s, Territorial, Irish Eyes and others and have always gotten fast and polite responses. Good seed houses are very concerned about being tarred and feathered with the Monsanto brush and are happy to answer customer questions and provide the kind of clarification you are looking for.

28. Ni Little says:

What about Bonnie Plants, their web site sounds good but are they safe? Does Monsanto own them?

29. Uncleframus says:

Celebrity tomatoes? Say it ain’t so, Joe! They’ve been my stable for decades, recommended to me by my late father-in-law. Are they all Monsanto products or just some? The timing is perfect. I was just headed to the garden center for seeds.

30. Hamthemanilton says:

If you’re buying anything from Walmart then you’ve got your own ethics to worry about. I mean if were talking evil empires.

31. Uncleframus – The Celebrity tomato was bred by Colen Wyatt of PetoSeed. PetoSeed was purchased by Seminis, and Seminis was purchased by Monsanto.

32. Jennifer says:

Kevin, correct me if I’m wrong. I’m going to try to make things less confusing.

This list is of varieties that are either sold by Mosanto/Seminis, or owned by Mosanto. An heirloom variety could be sold/saved by any company, but you want to check your source and make sure they aren’t getting them from Mosanto/Seminis, or you could be inadvertently supporting those companies.

For example: Assuming Baker Creek does not buy any seed from Mosanto or Seminis, when you buy an heirloom variety from Baker Creek, you are not supporting Mosanto, even if the name is on this list.

However, if you go to Wal-Mart and buy the same heirloom variety, you DO NOT KNOW whether you are financially supporting Mosanto or not. The seed could have come from anywhere. Since Wal-Mart sources their products as cheaply as possible, and Mosanto probably offers some bulk-rate discounts to places like Wal-Mart, there’s a pretty good chance that such seed DID come from Mosanto. Again, this doesn’t mean that the heirloom seed is GMO – it isn’t. It just means you’re inadvertently supporting a company that makes the bulk of its money through GMO products. (Using Wal-Mart as an EXAMPLE – I do not know if they actually buy seed from Mosanto or not.)

33. Farmer John says:

Folks! Don’t panic! Read these comments carefully and you can rest assured that you are fine growing these varieties as long as you purchase from a reputable source. This has always been the case, but will be ever more critical from here on out.

FACTS:

Certified Organic Seed “CANNOT” be GMO… period!

Many Vegetable Seeds are Hybrids, including several of our favorite Heirlooms. Heirlooms are simply varieties that have been around for a long time, tried and true and loved by many.

Just because Monsanto owns the variety, doesn’t mean they own the seed or profit from its proliferation. If it is grown organically by Baker Creek or High Mowing, etc., than they have their own seed stocks that they are managing and from which they benefit financially (not Monsanto.)

Remember to buy “ONLY” certified organic seed regardless of the variety, or its owner, and know your sources personally. When certified organic seed is unavailable, “ONLY” order from a company that you know you can trust.

Incidentally, this is why “certified organic” farms, farmers and products should be valued and rewarded with your support. They HAVE to worry about these same details and follow these very rules religiously, and you can see how truly confusing and complicated it can be.

34. Jennifer – Amen!

Farmer John – Double Amen!

35. Nick Meyer says:

Why are we not rallying?

Writing newspapers?

Occupying Monsanto?

Posting fliers?

Using clever lines and facts etc.?

The biggest problem is lack of awareness and we’re not doing enough. Do something, anything, post a bulletin at Panera. Come on friends this is the planet at stake here!

36. Nick – Oh, would I like to see Monsanto “occupied.” Surprised there hasn’t been a “Millions Against Monsanto March” in DC.

37. Angela says:

Bastards. Thanks for this list!

38. Tara says:

There IS an Occupy Monsanto Action being planned – in Hawaii – location of Monsanto’s main HQ. I met an occupier from Hawaii who came and participated in our local GA here in NorCal, and he said that they are planning an action, but need way more support. We need to make the world aware of how bad it is. The MSM doesn’t TOUCH this issue, Obama has completely FAILED us on this issue, it is very under-reported, considering how severe the dangers are.

Sadly, I find, that on my blog, leftish.tumblr.com, posts about Monsanto and GMOs hardly get any play or reblogs. This really worries and upsets me. The “environment” is my greatest concern, and one that I feel should be taken up by the Occupy Movement as the world’s GREATEST GLOBAL ISSUE. If we destroy the food supply, or our air, or oceans, or fresh water, where will we be? Citizens United won’t matter a bit if humans are wiped out!

39. Angie says:

Good points here – but unfortunately there is still a lot of confusion within the consumer market and the public. I work in the agribusiness industry and for several year worked for Monsanto’s biggest competitor. I get the concern around GMO’s (oh, and by the way if any of you have enjoyed a seedless anything…pretty sure that isn’t natural either, that would be called genetically modified) – I interact with several scientists that were previously employeed at universities that recieved funding from Monsanto. THAT is what people should be outraged about. Monsanto controling what is suppossed to be unbiased data.

At any rate – I really hope that everyone realizes Monsanto – while evil in their business tactics and general manipilation of the industry – is not the only company that is developing this sort of technology. They are just using it in a different way. So go after Monsanto, but the truth is a majority of the seeds and seedlings that are on the marketplace are from Syngenta. I’m a little biased, but on teh Veggie side of their biz, Syngenta is pretty awesome. They have integrated their R&D department in the California market so that they are constantly interacting with consumers to meet their needs. They developed the sugar snap pea (on accident) and, yes modified, the seedless watermelon.

I guess I am saying that I’m with you – the public needs to know what is going on the GOOD, the bad and the ugly. But I’m also saying a majority of sites like these, that mean well, are not exactly on track either.

One last note to TARA: Monsanto is not based in Hawaii. It is based in St. Louis MO. I believe you are referring to a winter nursery research station. In which case you might as well have the group stop by Pioneer’s, Syngenta’s and Dow’s because they are all right there too!:)

40. Angie – Nice to meet you. Your points are not only welcome, but well-taken, too.

Tara – Meet me in St. Louis???

41. tamara says:

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel better about buying my seeds from WestCoast Seeds (near Vancouver BC) and paying the higher prices for their untreated, non gmo product. I was feeling a little bitter over the prices until I read all this information. It also makes me happy that my tiny little BC community has a seed exchange every year where everyone brings all the extra seeds they saved from the previous year and trades them. Glad someone posted your vinegar as weed killer article on Facebook so I’ve discovered your site!

42. Dave Moser says:

Here’s a link to another company providing us a choice: http://landrethseeds.com/

43. Ni Little says:

Do you know anything about Bonnie plants, are they safe?

I agree with Tara, the biggest issue is the ENVIRONMENT. Noone will have to worry about jobs and the economy if we’ve created an uninhabitable planet. While there has been some disappointment w/ the current administration, the alternative is far worse. The Heartland Institute, a conservative think tank is busy w/ a plan to infiltrate public education w/ “climate change is a hoax” theories. The “genius” working on these learning modules is from the coal industry.

Kudos to all of you out there speaking the truth and fighting for change!

45. Our service at smartgarderer.com sells over 1000 different heirloom and organic seeds from three companies we have vetted carefully because of these issues – Baker Creek, Peaceful Valley(groworganic.com) and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. None of them buy or would have anything to do with Monsanto. We stand behind their high quality products and those values. You will see other varieties on our site that may not be from these companies, as we allow users to add their own varieties (but not sell them). We too, have had to educate our customers when they ask us why we don’t carry “Early Girl” and other popular varieties like that. My answer is simply “Monsanto owns the rights”. I agree with many comments above. There has not been much talk about this issue and I’m glad to see this information become available to people so they can make informed buying choices.

46. PRicha says:

Kevin, I cannot thank-you enough for writing and sharing this article! And also, to those who have added other (very) helpful information!

47. Great list – thanks so much! I order from Territorial Seeds – will have to check to see if these are in their catalog -

aloha -
    Angela

48. Biologist says:

49. Robbin says:

We need a list of what they DO NOT OWN, and refer to that list & buy accordingly!

50. Also a Biologists says:

QUOTE:”Why all the fuss about GMOs? You can consider plant breeding a form of genetic modification, choosing a trait, breeding for it, altering the genome of the next generation. This can be accomplished through forced selection, or manipulation by trained scientists, the result is the same. Monsanto may not be a company to be admired, but it is also not deserving of some of these attitudes.

I am a scientist. I do not appreciate hormones being injected into my meat and poisons spread on my vegetables. But I fully understand why GMOs can better the future, they are NOT meant to destroy the environment, and there is no scientific evidence that they do. ”

ANSWER: Just because something isn’t meant to hurt the environment doesn’t mean that it won’t. Forced selection, aka selective breeding won’t put genes into an organism that couldn’t occur. Like salmon genes in tomatoes.

And as far as not hurting the environment, tell that to the bees and butterflies that are dying from feeding on the BT corn and soybean.

End point. WE CANNOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN. AND SELECTIVE BREEDING IS A SLOWER PROCESS, ALLOWING US TO HAVE A MUCH BETTER IDEA WHAT OCCURS LONG BEFORE IT IS A VIABLE COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.

51. Suzanne says:

Any idea about sunflower varieties? Thanks.

52. Ann Rein says:

Biologist says: “Why all the fuss about GMOs? You can consider plant breeding a form of genetic modification, choosing a trait, breeding for it, altering the genome of the next generation. This can be accomplished through forced selection, or manipulation by trained scientists, the result is the same. Monsanto may not be a company to be admired, but it is also not deserving of some of these attitudes.

Choosing not to buy seeds from Monsanto for whatever reason is your prerogative. But be open minded to other GMOs. If not, look up the Golden Rice Project and see why this ‘anti GMO’ attitude is DIRECTLY responsible for the deaths of thousands of children around the world.”

Traditional breeding programs are far and away vastly different from GMO, and I think you’re being a bit disingenuous in claiming that GMO technology is somehow benign. They are not making the future better, they’re making the future profitable – for just a few – while disrupting and destroying our food supply. And then you add to it with your ‘feed the world’ strategy – the same kind of strategy that lead to the death of thousands of Indian cotton farmers when the GMO seeds they were told to grow failed, leading to more poverty and despair. Sorry, your arguments hold no water. As was said upthread, there are companies doing good work, but this GMO garbage isn’t one of those efforts.

53. Jan Todd says:

I was shocked to see Burpee’s seeds on the list. I always buy their seed. I will have to head to your store for seed.

54. Gavi says:

I purchased Fairytale eggplant seeds.. You are certain they are from Monsanto?

55. Eddie says:

I stopped buying seedless watermelon several years ago when I discovered anything seedless is derived from GMO seeds including the seedless organic varieties

Any food product that contains GMO should be labeled as such which is 99.9% of everything we eat.

Wake up America!

56. Is there also a list for herbs? How did you find out about this? Thanks so much for posting this!

57. Vicki A says:

I have been following Monsanto for a couple of years, and I have never seen reports on this many items as GMO. The non-gmo project doesn’t report these, only zucchini, squash, soybean, potatoes, corn, and maybe a couple more. I wonder if they just haven’t updated their list. The reason I am asking is because I am a Certified Health Coach, and I recommend to all of my clients to get off GMO. My own experience with it has wrecked my health, now that I am off of them I feel a lot better. This is a big list, of seeds but, your not saying they are GMO, just that Monsanto’s owns them?

58. Vicki A – Thanks for stopping by. The seeds on the above list are not (at present, anyway) genetically modified, or GMO. They are simply Seminis varieties which were purchased by Monsanto — a company who seems hell-bent on destroying the environment. Hence my argument to avoid these varieties, unless they are old ones (like Marketmore 76 cukes), obtained from reputable, organic sources.

59. Forewarned is forearmed. Thank you for sharing this very important information.
    Because of Monsanto and all big Ag companies, who seem determined to control our food supply, and poison the planet, I took to saving and promoting heirloom varieties. Monsanto and the like are indeed an evil empire.
    Why on earth anyone would want to purchase food/seeds from the company who co-created Agent Orange is beyond me.
    So happy to have discovered your blog. – Karen

60. Debrah says:

Okay i am a little lost what is wrong with Monsanto we have a monsanto plant just 8 minutes away from the small town i live were most everyone in 3 small towns works to provide for their families So i don’t understand the what looks to me like a boycott against the only good job in this area. Ours is a furtalizer plant but still am not understanding or seen any comments explaining what is wrong with them.

61. Ian Burrow says:

Hi , first thanks for the general heads up which is very useful. as an organic gardener and beekeeper i go to lengths to ensure i have the least possible to do with Monsanto or Bayer.

I was pointed to this article via the Bees group on Facebook and was dismayed to find a cabbage i have grown for years “Golden Acre” on your list. Especially as i have only ever bought my seed from one of the most senior proponents of Organic principles and non GM crops – Garden Organic. (was HDRA).

However i took the trouble to read through the comments. A lot of good, reputable sellers of some of the heritage varieties you list could now loose out in their fight against the global giants unless you edit your post to clarify this.

Buy certified organic only and / or swap with fellow gardeners

Ian

62. Diane says:

You can get ethically grown seed at The Hudson Valley Seed Library: http://www.seedlibrary.org/
    Fedco Seeds in ME is also an excellent source for seeds that do not support Monsanto.

To the person who asked about Bonnie Plants. I pretty sure that is the company that supplies places like Lowes and Home Depot with their greenhouse starts. A couple of years ago they shipped tomato plants infected with late blight that spread and destroying tomato crops in home gardens and organic farms up and down the Northeast. I can’t imagine they care about whose seeds they are selling. If there is more than one Bonnie Plant company someone can correct me.

63. Karen says:

Well, let’s see…yes, we shouldn’t waste seeds…but on the flip side of that, what is the reason you don’t want to buy / plant Monsanto or Seminis seeds? Could it be that the genes of these seeds have been GENETICALLY MANIPULATED, hence the term “GMO”???? Would you rather take a chance on not being poisoned and MAYBE not get cancer or have organ failure?? I think I’d rather waste a few seeds than take an unnecessary risk like that!! Monsanto is also the company behind shutting down dairy farms for daring to sell their raw milk. And now that we’ve got the former VP of Monsanto as our newly-elected “Senior Advisor of FDA”, we’re in trouble. Do your homework, folks…things are gonna get dicey in the near future!

64. carolyn rose goyda says:

shared with full credit

this had to be hard to do and compile and verify

thank you !!

you are an angel – feel free to post anything you want on my FB wall and would love to interview you some time

65. Andy Czapp says:

I agree with with the Biologist, but then again I come from a farming background, the reason why plant breeders have moved away from traditional methods is it takes to long. If this method was available 50 years ago it would have been used. I think it is too late for most of us to worry about gmo’s we have all consumed them. Only if you planted and harvested with your own machinery can you guarantee that the end product is free of gmo’s. All harvested seeds go to centralized mill or granary whether they are open pollinated, hybrid or gmo variety and all seeds get dumped into the same pit in the floor, the seeds may go to different silos but believe me there is plenty of contamination.

It does seem from the list of vegetable names that most are trademark names from Burpee, note seeds or plants in the past are not necessarily been produced by Monsanto. Open pollinated varieties for certain have not been adulterated otherwise they would not be open pollinated anymore.

My unscientific definitions:

It seems people need to know some basic terms Open pollinated seeds are ones that you can save and replant. Actually doing this your variety will adapt to your soil type and growing conditions if this is practiced. I replant my own lima bean seed every year and they out produce hybrid varieties that I isolated by maturing 10 days earlier.

Hybrid seeds, are when 2 different parents are bred together to produce the end result, normally hybrids are better at disease resistance, production and performed better under stress. But if the seeds of hybrids are planted they revert back to one of the parents. Hybrids are the old fashion way of producing better varieties.

Gmo’s are gene splicing for various traits a breeder wants in a plant, again just like a hybrid the seeds won’t be true to the parent.

Why I’m so nonchalant about Monsanto’s gmo’s is that “ROUND-UP” is so over used in our society, and the desire of consumers to have a weed free dark green lawn that wastes water, adds fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides to our waterways. I’m more concerned about the amount of toxic substances that lurk in almost everyone’s garage. You want to campaign against Monsanto stop using Round-up and all the chemicals they produce.

66. hapifarmer says:

My feelings about the biologist and the woman from a small town where folks are employed by Monsanto: Having a job does not mean it is a good job, just because it pays you. I believe that Hitler and the NAZI party paid many soldiers to do a lot of killing for them. Don’t mean its a good job.
    And just cause you get a degree or Phd, don’t mean you’re and educated person. I just means you past a few tests in your time and got passed on out to do some work….with a title and some alphabet soup letters after your name. As Joel Salatin says, you can’t regulate integrity.
    Oh, and the comment about seedless coming from GMO….not true
    Seedless oranges and watermelons are not all GMO. They came about way before Genetic Modified Organisms were invented.
    As for the difference in ownership vs. modification of genes.
    Micheal Jackson bought the right to the Beatles music collection at one point. It does not mean he wrote the songs…he only owned the rights to resell them as music to Hollywood and advertisers who wanted to re-use the music.
    Its like Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste selling out to the Colgate corporation. I was not happy about that one. Many of the original “organic food companies of our country ….which started out as wholesome family businesses, have sold out. “Organic” as a label means nothing to me…especially when its sold in supermarkets and Superstores. Clinton and Lewinski had an organic time together…and he tried to say it was not sex…but you have to know the difference between spin and truth. You have to ask a lot of questions to become an informed consumer in todays marketplace. Good luck to us all I say…we need it

67. heirloom grower says:

Heirlooms are NOT hybrids. Hybrids have different parents, some have more than two parents…parent lines with many parents. Heirlooms are open pollinated meaning they are the same plant as their parents. The term ‘heirloom’ means a variety that has been grown as is for over 50 some yrs (an antique, so to speak).

68. Avery says:

This is a good article but think it would be more helpful to list and advertise nonMonsanto seeds!
    I now have these names strangely floating in my consciousness.

69. Taza G. says:

Hi, i posted this website a couple of days ago and didn’t ever see it in the comments section so i thought i’d try again.

70. Patricia says:

Thank you, Kevin, for this good information. I suppose that Montsanto makes money off of these seeds and plants but I suspect that their actual motive is more sinister. The more of these companies they buy, the more they have the control of, and the fewer plants remain outside their grasp. Ultimately through purchase or pollution, they seem to hope to own all seeds.
    It is a worthy battle to fight against them.

71. Be Equipped says:

Marketmore 76 is not a “very old cucumber variety.” It was developed by a Dr. Unger at Cornell in 1976. If that constitutes very old, I’m in trouble!

I think it would be helpful to your readers to understand that Seminis “owned” the varieties above, and until Seminis was bought by Monsanto there was no association between these varieties and Monsanto. Nothing has changed about the quality of these varieties. Sure, if you want to boycott Monsanto, go ahead. But some of the tone here sounds almost fearful. Many seed companies did happy business with Seminis prior to the acquisition by Monsanto, and so they should have. These are some of the best varieties available. Fedco and Johnny’s (to name only a couple) have made very clear their intention to part ways with the Seminis varieties. It would be pointless to boycott them.

I think if you want an accurate list of Seminis vegetables, you should just look at their website. A number of the veggies in the list above are no longer grown by Seminis. The list of hot peppers above is totally confusing, as it includes many generic breeding names. Habanero, Anaheim, Cayenne, Hungarian – these are TYPES of peppers, not specific cultivars. Lots of places grow them.

And Seminis does not – and cannot – “own” open pollinated varieties. They can hold patents on hybrids that they develop, but they have been reducing their vegetable selection since the Monsanto takeover, not expanding it.

72. C.O. Taylor says:

Thanks for the list. Very helpful for spring planting.

73. Julia says:

Okay…. Please, Why do you call them the ‘evil empire’ ? What did or do they do that’s evil??

74. Julia – Nice to meet you. If you click the link in the first paragraph of this article, you will discover just a few of the reasons why most gardeners, organic farmers and foodies (including me) are not fond of Monsanto. And if you Google “Monsanto”, you’ll discover a great deal more.

75. Empower Yourself says:

First I will state that I have a personal distaste for any big ag corporations like Monsanto and the sell-out USDA, but I think a little bit of rational thinking and clarification is in order.

I will use an example: Monsanto doesn’t “own” and never will “own” the Black Beauty eggplant. This variety has been around for over a century. What they do own is the seed they acquired from the marketplace. They took the seed they acquired of the Black Beauty eggplant and now do production grow outs, harvest it, and sell it bulk wholesale through their company Seminis, to companies that package it and sell it retail, like Burpee. They may someday genetically modify their Black Beauty eggplant seeds, but like all capitalist enterprises it must be a profitable venture for them to even consider the effort, so I believe it will be some time before they start doing this. That is why they have focused on big ag and mass, bulk food production like corn and soybeans – that is where the serious, big money is to be made for a greedy, self-interested corporation like Monsanto. Once something is modified they will patent it and rename it for marketing purposes, but also because current laws require this. At least for now they cannot modify the Black Beauty eggplant and still call it “Black Beauty” eggplant.

Regarding the term “genetically modified”: I intensely dislike this term for the simple fact that I and many people like me have been continually genetically modifying our food crops by selecting, saving, and replanting seeds from the healthiest plants with the best traits. If you save seed from a tomato plant because it produced extra sweet tomatoes on it, and do this over and over, you are genetically modifying seed of that variety in your possession. Humans have been genetically modifying food plants for at least ten thousand years. That is how all the heirloom varieties came into being. It is the modern transgenic tinkering in laboratories that is the true danger, and that is the evil in which corporations like this are engaging. This is the untested “frankenfoods” they are creating and releasing into the wilds of nature. This is the garbage that is cross-pollinating with, thus polluting and contaminating, non-transgenically modified crops, and, by the way, possibly even contaminating your “safe” heirloom vegetables in your very own garden.

In the short term, I have no problem making one-time purchases of open-pollinated seed varieties from Seminis, via Burpee and other retail companies if I cannot find them elsewhere. Once I have grown them out for seed then those seeds are now MY seeds, and I no longer ever have to purchase the seed of that variety ever again. I also give away my seed to friends, family, and neighbors, and engage in online seed trading. That stops everyone who gets my seeds from ever having to purchase seeds of those varieties from Seminis. This lack of real-world control is why corporations like Monsanto generally hate open-pollinated varieties and focus on hybrids. And believe me, they are working very hard to find ways to increase control.

When I am made aware and shown irrefutable evidence of any efforts by Monsanto to
    transgenically mutate their open-pollinated vegetable varieties for home gardening use, I will stop purchasing Seminis seeds and I will declare the evil of their products from the mountaintops to anyone that will listen. In the meantime I am comfortable making occasional one-time acquisitions from them.

If in the future the collusive government makes it illegal to trade or give away MY seeds that I have grown, I will consider it my obligation and duty to ignore and break their evil laws and I will do so with a clear conscience and my head held high. But I believe at that point this nation will have MUCH larger problems befalling it.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with growing the Black Beauty eggplant and other open-pollinated varieties on the Seminis list. Just do some research to learn where retail companies are acquiring their seed, and purchase the non-Seminis seed if your comfort level demands it.

Don’t live in fear and paranoia. Educate yourself so that you can make rational decisions, and then act on those decisions with confidence. Remember also that, rather than protect the citizens, and the federal government via the corrupt USDA, the Patent Office, the Judiciary, and other agencies and governing bodies is aiding and abetting these companies in doing what they are doing, so blame the criminal politicians on both sides of the aisle and voice your displeasure to your Senator or Representative.

By the way if anyone really wanted to argue ownership I have been harvesting, saving, and replanting Black Beauty eggplant seeds for decades, so technically I, and others like me, “owned” it long before Monsanto ever acquired their seed stock. ;-)

76. Michelle says:

Hi! thanks for that list..so that means that they have the round up ready in these seeds already right? I have recently learned about all this and wish I would of known years ago..thanks

77. Michelle – Roundup Ready seeds are sold (currently) only to industrial farmers. The seeds on the above list are not GMO.

78. NancyfromWellington says:

New to all of this. Great article and even better comments. I learned so much from all of you and appreciate the article and everyone taking the time to write well thought out responses that educated even further. Continue to share your information with people even if you think that they are not listening because more and more of us are tuning in, learning and growing and sharing and educating others. If we all touch one life a day imagine how educated we will be after a year, after two years, after 5 years…

79. Christine O. says:

Lots of good information here, I applaud the calls for self-education so we can make informed choices. As much as possible, I boycott Monsanto products for many of the reasons listed above.

For more information on Monsanto business practices and their impact on food and agriculture worldwide, view the very good documentaries,

“The Future of Food”

“The World According to Monsanto”.

There are a number of organizations and activists organizing ongoing protests against Monsanto and companies that do business with them. Someone above said “there should be a Millions Against Monsanto march on D.C.” – there was one, last October!

The Organic Consumers Association is a good place to start finding groups working on this project. They are running the Millions Against Monsanto project and are seeking volunteers in every state.

Sign up for their email lists and you will get regular updates on actions, petitions and phone-in campaigns.

Peace, christine

80. Christine O – thanks for the links. I have seen “The World According to Monsanto” (and what an eye-opener that was ) but have yet to view “The Future of Food.” “Food, Inc.” is another powerful documentary, just make sure you eat BEFORE you see the film.

Yes, the Organic Consumers Association is a powerhouse of info. They’ve actually linked one of my stories to their site.

Like you, I shall continue to fight the good fight.

Stay in touch, okay?

81. Nory says:

Monsanto is breaking lives and hearts daily. We always try to tweet their latest horrors on our twitter page. Their recent victory over 300,000 organic farmers must be making them smack their lips. The seeds we supply at EasyGreen are 100% organic. We’re working hard to grow new crops of seeds in Belize as well. Many of you may not know that Belize is 100% against Monsanto – one of the last sane bastions of hope. According to our boots on the ground there, recently a government official tried to sneak some GMO seeds into the country. This inspiring YouTube video shows what transpired when the local farmers discovered it: http://tinyurl.com/88a2ptw

82. Nory – Watching that clip, I couldn’t help but wish that it was United States farmers setting fire to GMO corn seeds. Kudos to the good people of Belize. And kudos to your company, Easy Green.

We should follow each other on Twitter. I’m #KevinLeeJacobs

83. Corie says:

I just called D. Landreth Seed Company. The small scale farms they purchase seeds from do not have organic certification. The farms themselves do have that style of growing practice though. Landreth assured me they will not purchase from Monsanto/Seminis. This is the oldest seed house in America.

84. Nory says:

Kevin, thanks for suggesting we connect on Twitter. Smart thinking.

Yeah, those farmers in Belize are a real inspiration, right? Totally unhampered by corporations running their government. So when there’s a bad apple trying to shove Monsanto down the people’s throats, it’s easier to challenge his or her decisions.

We’re in process of signing the Safe Seeds Pledge, too, thanks to this posting and the comments from your savvy readers. It’s the first we had heard about it.

Currently, EasyGreen gets much of our seed from a certified organic seller. Very soon though, our seeds will be from Belize 100%. Take a look at the history of the farm on this site:

Cheers.

85. LaTrice says:

I swear, Monsanto is like the friggin BORG from Star Trek.

86. Linda says:

Great List. thanks!
    Perhaps you should add Beneforte to Broccoli on this list for you and your followers to carry in your wallet/purse.

87. Lizzy Ford says:

GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

88. Matt says:

There are many more tomato varieties then the ones you listed here. Green Pineapple is one. Is it a GMO crop? I want a complet list badly:)

89. SeedChange2012 says:

I am sorry but I am still in disbelief at one response above. “What is wrong with Monsanto…” Really? Did you not read any of the other posts?? Do some research….you will be surprised. The company may employ many, and may have started out with good intentions, but they are monopolizing the seed industry, and tainting our crops with their GE/GM seed. Not only that but there haven’t been enough studies to determine the potential health issues to HUMANS and animals alike, that could arise from ingesting food that was grown from GM seed. Basically, you just have to look around and be aware. Organic is the way to go, and Monsanto has to be responsible for their actions and stop polluting the organic crops; and take heed when we say we will not just ignore it an hope it goes away….. We will do what we have to to protect our crops, our families’ health, and our futures!! I will make sure everyone I know is aware..

90. TRU @ TRU TALES FEATS says:

Why does everybody just single out MONSANTO? I guess the average consumer does not realize that most seeds are owned by big chemical companies, like DOW and DUPONT. MONSANTO has just had the “misfortune” of developing the GMO traits, which most of the other seed companies now purchase from them, and the media has jumped on them. It’s like they only kid that gets punished for a wrongdoing is the one that gets caught. The only way to know where your seeds come from is to buy expensive heirloom seeds from a reputable dealer and then save your own seeds. Just thought I’d give the rest of the story.

91. jo says:

Are talking about just seeds or the plant also? (Monsanto)

92. Hi! This was pointed out to me today by a friend and I’m thoroughly disgusted. I’ve contacted Bonnie Plants about it as I have a couple of their plants, including Charleston Gray Watermelons, in my garden right now. I’ve blogged about it here: http://tocomefullcircle.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/monsanto-infecting-the-non-gmo-seed-markets/

93. Betty says:

I find this very distressing……..I miss the simple life. I don’t eat corn any more, I love corn but refuse to purchase it, it’s hard to find organic corn on the cob and it costs too much. Everything I planted this year except my flax is Monsanto. I am so disappointed, so angry. I am very angry about GMO’s.

94. click says:

This website is pretty cool. How can I make one like this !

95. m says:

Hello everyone……..I had found some Seminis seeds in the West Coast 2012 catalog so I emailed to ask if they purchased some of their seeds from Seminis and below is their response.

“We do buy a few varieties from Seminis, however we are in the tail end of a 5+ year long plan to phase Seminis out of our inventory, we are at 5% now down from 40%. One of the reasons we couldn’t just drop them as a supplier was primarily because we bought so much seed from them and needed to find replacements for the open pollinated and heirloom varieties they carried (yes, carried, as Monsanto is pushing their commercial varieties Seminis offers less and less choice of open pollinated varieties.) Another reason was our grower customers had come to appreciate Seminis’ seed quality and reliability and demanded that we keep carrying it for as long as we could.

If I am thinking of the same list (on a blog entry) that you are, it is a little out of date and some of the seeds on there are not owned by Seminis anymore. As I mentioned, they are reducing the amount of open pollinated and heirloom seeds and as a result their varieties are being bought up by other companies. As well, a few on the list are heirloom varieties and are not carried just by Seminis.

Rest assured we remain committed to outrpolicy of carrying open pollinated, heirloom, and non-GMO seeds, and we hope this helps ease your mind. Please feel free to ask more questions if you wish.”

96. Strega says:

After reading your info (above) regarding “Bonnie Plants”, Seminis, et al I contacted “Bonnie” via their website/contact. In less than an hour I received a phone call from their main headquarters asking if I had a few moments to discuss my concerns.

To be brief: they DO NOT SELL GMO seeds or seedlings. They DO purchase seeds from Seminis and, after the sale of Seminis to Monsanto they maintained due dilligence by requiring Seminis to provide a certification stating that none of the seeds they were selling to Bonnie are GMO seeds.

Bonnie Plants are very aware of the concerns of their customers and support their position. They have and will continue to do all they can to ensure that their seeds and seedlings/plants are grown from non genetically modified organisms.

Seminis ‘owns’ the genetics of the seeds they sell and they are not adulterated or modified by Monsanto.

I thought it would help others to know this. Fact is; we can only do what we can to remain vigilant and informed and in contacting the individual companies and requesting assurance and their promise to remain ‘natural’ we can have some effect on the promulgation of ‘dis-info’.

I feel confident that the plants that I buy from Bonnie’s are not Frankenstein mutations but good, solid growth products.

97. Johnny says:

The amount of misinformation on this forum and others is infuriating! First of all Monsanto would not sell GE seed (yes it is GE seed , not GMO) to companies that are going to repackage it to sell. Farmers who plant the stuff are required to fill out lengthy contracts and essentially account for every seed as well as all of the crops harvested to Monsanto, they are paranoid about keeping control of their genetics. So you couldn’t buy any GE seed even if you wanted to!
    Just to take one variety from the above list only because I know about it firsthand, Marketmore 76 Cucumber was developed at Cornell University in 1976, it is an open pollinated variety, whose patent has long expired. There are many companies that grow it for seed and none of that money goes to Monsanto, unless you buy it from Seminis!!! Just because Seminis lists a variety, does not mean that they own it, just that they grow it and sell it as do many other growers with no ties to Monsanto.

Also, it is generally accepted that heirlooms are varieties that are over 50 years old, last I checked 1976 was only 36 years ago so those companies selling it as an heirloom are pulling a fast one on you.

In regards to GE vs GMO, a Genetically Engineered seed is one that high tech methods such as a gene gun are used to splice DNA. GMO is simply a genetically modified organism, which anyone reading this is unless you are a clone of one of your parents, but then again, they are a GMO. So unless you are picking your food from the wild (and don’t save the seed because it may be modified from the parent plant) you are getting a GMO, but then again that plant has evolved (modified) over the years in nature so it is still a GMO!

98. Nancie says:

Thank you Kevin… I think, the best thing anyone can do, who is serious about their food supply is to speak out of course, but to also save seeds from their own gardens. Start with organic seed at first, then dehydrate and save your own seeds…save enough for your neighbors, and anyone else you know who might want some. Nature is abundant in her gifts, and she provides each plant with more than enough seed to keep and share!

99. Bar 7R Ranch says:

For the few out there who don’t yet understand why we think Monsanto is the devil…I recommend the movie “Dirt”… And there are other large companies that are culpable…Monsanto is just the Goliath of the group. Kevin, thank you for posting this and raising awareness.

100. I wasn’t aware of the Marketmore 76. Thanks for the list.

101. click here says:

Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great
    article on our site. Keep up the great writing.

102. mike mitt says:

If Monsatan is involved I’m not. That’s the bottom line.

103. Tamara says:

You’re so awesome! I don’t suppose I’ve truly read through anything like this before. So good to find someone with a few unique thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a little originality!

104. Rita says:

Baker Creek is not organic people. And they don’t grow their own seeds – they buy seeds from South America, Europe, Israel, etc and then repack them. You all get so drunk on their folksy heirloom look that you don’t bother to ask questions.

105. Debra Pico says:

Thank you Kevin! I was just looking up who actually owns Bonnie Plants to find out where they get their seed supply from and was pleasantly surprised to see you wrote this article (wonder how I missed it. Maybe it was before I found your wonderful site) Anyhoo Thank you again for the information. The last thing I want to do is support Monsanto whether its GMO or not I aint giving them my money after what they have done to innocent hardworking farmers : )

106. Hi there! This post could not be written much better! Going
    through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept preaching about this. I am going to forward
    this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a great read.

Thanks for sharing!

107. I live in Phuket Thailand and if you google Monsanto Thailand you will see that the Government of Thailand has sold out to Monsanto there are several location offices and plants. It makes me sick. Where can I find some organic heirloom seed bank in Thailand? I don’t think it is even existing any more? What can I do ? I want my garden to be 100 percent organic any ideas for me?

Thank You Barry Anderson aka Barry Gourmet & Raw

108. Man_not_machine says:

Thank you to Kevin, Nory, Christine O, Bar 7R Crunch, Rita, Johnny (for your point about having to be 50 years old to be considered heirloom), & anyone else who actually read the full post before commenting (or in many cases, ranting).

For the record, Monsanto’s PCB fiasco alone is reason enough for me to never want a penny of my money going to them. I will definitely buy my seeds from http://www.solfarms.net/!

109. Ian says:

Wow,

Thanks so much to whoever put this info together!!!! This is such important stuff and yet SOO hard to find this information. Very well done.

110. Kevin says:

If you all want to see more of Monsanto trying to take over look at,
    H.R. 193: “To require persons who seek to retain seed harvested from the planting of patented seeds to register with the Secretary of Agriculture and pay fees set by the Secretary for retaining such seed, and for other purposes.”

111. Screemin skull man says:

Im new to this, but why cant everyone purchase organic seeds, save them then swap them like people used to do and this would save cash and more importantly cut out big corporate companys taking the micky out of us. SEED SAVING, SEED SAVING, SEED SAVING.

112. Beth says:

Do you know of any 2013 updates to the list of seed names owned by Monsanto/Seminis?

113. new gardener says:

Do any of you know if Gurney’s uses Monsanto seeds? I just called, and the guy didn’t seem to understand my question. I fear that he just gave me whatever answer he thought would get me to buy seeds from them. They have Roma VF and Bell Boy in their catalog.

114. diethub.org says:

Shedding the additional body fat is made a lot easier with this
    item.

115. Marniemo says:

Screemin’ Skull man, that would be a great idea, but people are uninformed and don’t understand the importance of keeping our food supply clean.
    Some commenters just aren’t getting the point of this article: we aren’t worried that the seeds we buy are GMO. Monsanto is the devil and we should not buy from them because they will use the money they make to further their experiments and badness. Don’t buy their seeds and they won’t make the money.
    And I think we SHOULD be scared.

116. Lindsey says:

Hi, I really enjoyed reading this. I have a quick question, though. Am I correct in understanding that the seeds listed haven’t been genetically modified, but are being sold by Monsanto (or a company under the Monsanto umbrella); therefore supporting them?

117. Hi Lindsey – Yes, you are reading my article correctly.

118. SuZenDu says:

Here’s a quote from George Ball, Burpee CEO, addressing this issue:

“For the record, I own W. Atlee Burpee & Co. Burpee is NOT owned by Monsanto. We do purchase a small number of seeds from the garden seed department of Seminis, a Monsanto subsidiary, and so do our biggest competitors. We do NOT sell GMO seed, never have in the past, and will not sell it in the future.”

It’s an excerpt from the “About Burpee Seeds” page of their website:

119. Joel says:

Thank you all for this post!! The fact that everyone here is being educated on Monsanto’s agenda and artificial seeds is remarkable. It took Europe about 15% of their population to get RID OF ALL G.M.O. SEEDS. We are talking about our most basic necessities to sustain life being altered and controlled by centralized corporations!! I do not know if us “a”mericans have lost our sense of “righteousness”, or simply expect these things to go away on their own. We must pressure big government on these issues. Technology and ideals make that possible.
    This blog inspired me to open a new petition in Washington, D.C. and it has to do with stopping the genetic engendering of our food supply. Click on Link and Vote… Send to all of your friends and emails.

120. Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of
    spam comments? If so how do you protect against
    it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get
    so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

121. sunny lenz says:

I have a problem w/ nematodes so I plant resistant varieties – any suggestions?

122. sunny lenz says:

I have a problem w/ nematodes on hot weather crops so I plant resistant varieties – any suggestions?

123. heirloomsatan says:

Holy fuck. Get a life all of you. Eeewwww the evil empire. Really tou think not buying a dew seeds is going to make a point? You’d make more of a statement by streaking at your bra burnings. Why don’t you do the rest of us a favor and get back to work. I’m so sick of this crap. Enter your typical liberal bullshit statements here->

124. Naomi says:

I really like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work
    and coverage! Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

125. Pat Sharp says:

I noted when Monsanto purchased Seminis back in 2004? ’05?. I called Fedco & johnny;s seeds both Maine companies,to alert them,. The following spring Fedco put in their catalogue an explanation & that they would be weeding out their Semini varieties over a period of several years.
    Our local supermarket, ( Hannaford, Belgium owned) sells Burpee seeds exclusively. So I called Burpee, seed company of my Grandfather’s choice, in South Jersey……….They sent me an e-mail stating that they did NOT sell GM seeds, FOR HOME GARDENS,…… ( although if you look at their website, you can see the big ag seeds sales ( soy corn, alfalfa etc.) are involved with Monsanto.
    I DID buy Burpee BeefSTEAK seeds this year labeled “organic” NON GMO. The above GM list included Beefmaster, Betterboy, Big Beef, Burpee’s Big Boy,Early Girl, but NOT Beefsteak.. the tomato of my childhood.
    I also bought sweet corn, Honey & Cream Bi-color from Hart Seeds. labeled GE free. read their explanation of GMO vs GE here : http://hartseed.com/index.php/our-products/gmo-or-ge/
    GE is a foreign substance, ( roundup or sow dan, yes nursing mother pig .) injected in the DNA of the plant, GMO can be hybrid crossing 2 varieties of tomato to produce bigger redder, more productive qualities. Burpee has been doing that for almost a century & I am sure farmers through the centuries have as well………..that makes sense without upsetting nature’s balance

126. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We
    are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

127. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this excellent
    blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.

Chat soon!

128. Casey Kravitz says:

All this talk about boycotting Monsanto is silly. If you drive a car, you buy gas, which is at least 10% ethanol, which is typically made from corn seeds genetically modified by Monsanto If you want to impact Monsanto, write to them, tell them what’s on your mind.

129. Lori says:

I can see not using GMO seeds or plants. Plus my understanding of true GMO’s are the crossing of things that would not naturally cross in nature.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Forewarned is Forearmed: Veggies Owned by Monsanto. Share this:ShareLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

2. [...] are they were purchased from the evil empire.”(Jacobs 2012)  For the full article go to:  http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/forewarned-is-forearmed-veggie-varieties-owned-by-monsan… Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

3. [...] and Healthy Kick tomatoes grown from seed are actually putting money in Monsanto’s coffers. Kevin Lee Jacobs’ blog A Garden in the House informs me that those seed varieties are now owned by the Big Farma [...]

4. [...] 2)      A substantial number of patents on heirloom varieties. [...]

5. [...] Here is a list of particular seeds to steer clear from: Veggies Owned by Monsanto [...]

6. [...] that have taken the Safe Seeds pledge. (Scroooooll for Canada.) If you might buy seedlings, print this list to be sure that you avoid Monsato varieties in plants as [...]

7. [...] to avoid such seed varieties. (For those wishing to see this list and put it to good use, click HERE to have a [...]

8. [...] take a look at the list. You may be growing some without even knowing it, because companies buy the seeds in bulk and put [...]

9. [...] Know where you seeds comes from this year. Monsanto now owns seeds.   Tags: fitness, health, wellness « How Can I Start Getting in Sha… Marinate sliced tomatoes with … »   No Comments    Click here to cancel reply. [...]

10. [...] Forewarned is Forearmed: Home Garden Veggies in the Monsanto/Seminis Catalogue. (function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/nl_NL/all.js#xfbml=1&appId=205427246226008"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, "script", "facebook-jssdk")); groenten, Monsanto, zaden Address: http://transitielimburg.be/monsanto-kataloog-gepatenteerde-groetjes.html « hoeveel vlees eet gemiddelde Belg? Trackbackno comment untill now [...]

11. [...] pointed to this article. I took it one step further. An alternative is Salt Spring Seeds, providers of heritage and [...]

12. [...] to Build a Greenhouse Veggie Varieties owned by Monsanto Make Your Own Chicken Feed How to Identify Wintergreen – video [...]

13. [...] of paste-type tomatoes - San Marzanos and Opalka – so far! In learning recently that Monsanto now owns the supremely sweet Early Girl, I sadly avoided those this season, trying as I might to find a replacement in the sweet Bloody [...]

14. [...] Please read the rest of this article (and get the list) from Kevin Lee Jacob’s great blog “A Garden For the House”  HERE [...]

15. [...] This year I am going to more actively attempt to stay away from Monsanto products and try to support heirloom seed companies and natural growers because I really don’t like Monsanto very well and am slightly freaked out by their idea of what is okay to do to the food we eat.  I am extremely bothered by the fact that they control so much of the market for our food supply.  Check out this list of varieties commonly sold. [...]

16. [...] pointed to this article. I took it one step further. An alternative is Salt Spring Seeds, providers of heritage and [...]

17. [...] make sure you are not supporting Monsanto with your dollars. Buy from safe seed companies. Use this list to avoid buying Monsanto owned vegetable varieties at your local nursery. Keep apprised of [...]

18. [...] the meantime, here is a list of seed stock owned by Monsanto. Seed stock listed are not necessarily genetically modified, but they are owned [...]

19. [...] off, avoid these varieties as they have been trademarked by Monsanto and no one wants them earning another [...]

20. [...] off, avoid these varieties as they have been trademarked by Monsanto and no one wants them earning another [...]

21. [...] by Monsanto” ~ Kevin Lee Jacobs – A Garden… House, {Subscribe}, 02-21-12 :: Link/URL < http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/forewarned-is-forearmed-veggie-varieties-owned-by-monsanto... >###(05-21-13)*CWP(FS)##*Copy^P^ShareCreativeCommonsEDU4Us+ B| ## [...]

22. [...] think that would be easy enough but it isn’t. For reference here is a list (from 2/2012) of Seminis/Monsanto home-garden vegetable varieties. These are not seeds that are genetically modified but are varieties that are owned by [...]

23. [...] -http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/forewarned-is-forearmed-veggie-varieties-owned-by-monsanto… -http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/keep-monsanto-out-of-your-veggie-patch/ -http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/keep-monsanto-out-of-your-garden-this-spring.html [...]