The Window Garden in Autumn

September 25, 2010

THIS WEEK I had great fun producing an “autumn scene” for the window in my upstairs bath. I even photographed the garden (above; click to enlarge), and shared it on Facebook. There, some readers felt the window looked cheerful “as is,” while others thought the middle shelf required two more plants. Would you like to see my happy compromise, along with some close-up shots of this brightly-colored, easy-to-make garden?

I desperately searched for two crystal figurines to flank the yellow rose on the middle shelf. The problem? I don’t own any crystal figurines. I settled on a pair of sterling silver candlesticks instead. These provide a sense of symmetry, and the candles — when lit after dark — cast a romantic glow over the entire garden.

And that’s one great aspect of an indoor landscape: you can easily move pots around, and even add features like candlesticks or other bric-a-brac until your horticultural portrait seems “just right.” After all, a window garden should not only be fun to make, but a daily pleasure to behold!

Now, about those closeups I promised:

Saintpaulias in purple, pink, and blue reside on the first of three glass shelves. They will bloom and bloom in this eastern exposure.

Miniature roses, one in cream and one in lavender (above), adorn the bookcase. These tiny treasures rebloom if you give them a rest between their big flowering flushes.

A pair of golden-eyed, pink chrysanthemums (florist-grown) flank the miniature roses on the bookcase. Potted “mums” last and last indoors if, once each week, you soak their pots in pail of water.

A Garden for the House on Facebook
African Violets – My Easy, Always-In-Bloom Tutorial
Seven Ways to Beautiful Houseplants
Gardening Under Lights
Bringing in the Houseplants
Meet the Everblooming Sweet Olive

Comments

1. Phoebe says:

So inspiring, Kevin! And amazing with OR without the candlesticks.

2. Phoebe – you should see this with the candles lit, and the overhead chandelier dimmed. Kinda cool.

3. Adele says:

Kevin, except for the hair-blower in the one shot, I'd never guess this was a bathroom window. What a beautiful scene you've created with plants.

4. Anonymous says:

You are amazing

Brigid

5. Katreader says:

It looks wonderful. I'd love to light the candles and have a bubble bath!

6. Katreader – There is a Victorian slipper-tub in the room. It's GREAT for bubble-baths!

7. carolpie says:

Just beautiful!

8. rah267 says:

Wow this is so beautiful. We are moving to a new house as soon as our place sells. I am already looking forward to trying out your idea in my new bathroom. Beautiful

9. carolpie – you are too kind.

Welcome, rah267 – so glad you feel inspired to make a window garden of your own.

10. Anonymous says:

Kevin ~ We did the same treatment to a large over-the-sink window in the kitchen before finding your blog, long thick glass shelves to hold amazing African Violets. Now I feel so hip. Only difference is mine are in old pieces of Spode. Aren't African Violets the best ever? We never fail to get comments. Elizabeth

11. Elizabeth — Yes, African violets look delightful on glass shelves, and particularly so when placed in old pieces of Spode. I once placed miniature AVs in Royal Albert teacups — what a picture they made.

12. Ellie Wilbanks says:

Kevin, the mums should soak in a pail of water.

13. Ellie – Thanks for pointing that out. I am the worst speller! My “pale” is now a “pail.”