Chimney Swift Rescue

July 3, 2010

I FORGOT to tell you about the excitement that occurred here earlier in the week. Late Wednesday evening, a nest of Chimney Swifts came detached from one of my chimneys, and landed, kerplunk, in the parlor fireplace. There were four babies in the nest; one dead and three living. When, by Thursday morning, the parents had made no rescue attempt, yours truly felt he must intervene:

I gently placed the hatch-lings in a cloth-lined shoebox, and transported them to Jane Beavan, an experienced wildlife rehabilitator. According to Jane, whose kindness is as vast as her sanctuary, such young swifts are difficult to keep alive. I’m hoping for the best.

Chimney Swifts, should you ever encounter them, are on the Protected Migratory Birds list. Why? Because most homeowners today have capped the birds’ favorite nesting sites — chimneys. You can read all about these fascinating mosquito-eating creatures here.

Comments

1. Andrew Thompson says:

Lucky thing they fell into YOUR fireplace!

2. Tammy says:

You have a good heart, Kevin. I knew I liked you!

3. Adele says:

Will you keep us updated on their condition? Poor things look so helpless. I hope they make it!

4. Katreader says:

Poor little things. I hope they can make it! Thanks goodness you know a great rehabber too!

5. Phoebe says:

That's heartbreaking. I wish the little birds the best!

6. Judy says:

Wow, Kevin! You really saved those poor birds! Good for you and for Jane! Do you think the name 'Swift' is a coincidence?…I think not!

7. cupola says:

aww poor little guys. Hope their ok :)

8. Brooke says:

LOL–My husband and I had a similar experience. We were watching a movie and I kept hearing a weird sound. My husband could not hear it and it was not until our cats went nuts around the fireplace did he finally hear the distinct sounds the little swifts make. Mind you, at the time, we had no idea what was in our fireplace! We thought it was a rabid racoon or something. Finally, my 6 foot, 210 pound husband-who was scared to death- looked through the damper with a mirror did we learn that all that hissing was three little swifts! we also called a local lady who rehabs animals. Once you hear a chimmney swift you will never forget it!

9. Sylvia Neal says:

I just love hearing of your experiences. We all can learn from them. Thanks.

10. Lynn says:

So what was the final outcome of the bird rescue caper ?

11. Lynn – Thanks for asking. One swift died, but the other two lived to tell the tale. And another crew is in the chimney as I write this. Wish them luck!

12. Toby says:

Great blog you have here.. It’s difficult to find good quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!