‘Tis the Season for Saintpaulia

December 14, 2009

We all know the beauty that African violets, or Saintpaulia ionantha, bring to a window garden, but have you considered their value for Christmas centerpieces and mantel displays? The picture above (click to enlarge) shows a “tower” of African violets that I crafted from various silver objects: a round tray, an inverted vase, a wine holder and a pierced basket. Holly, ivy, and fresh fruit give the assembly a festive appearance. But the piece de resistance is the collection of luscious, deep-purple African violets which surround the arrangement’s base and adorn its crown. This arrangement graced my dining table one year. It also received a glossy spread in African Violet Magazine. Read on, and I’ll show you other holiday-displays that you can easily make with the world’s favorite houseplant:

Here, purple, blue, and white African violets make a pleasant centerpiece in association with quince, blue spruce, pine, and yew.

In a setting of wild, red rosehips and sprays of yew and pine, a pale-blue African violet makes a shimmering presence on the left end of the dining room mantel (above), while ‘Happy Trails,’ a pink, trailing variety (below), creates balance on the right.

Saintpaulia ‘Special Treat,’ with huge, purple blossoms edged in white, makes a festive presence for my parlor. The plant’s small pot is hidden among pine branches inserted into a silver vase.

Why limit your Christmas flowers to such temporary delights as red poinsettias? African violets shimmer not only during the holidays, but year ’round, too!

Don’t miss a beat at A Garden for the House…sign up for Kevin’s weekly newsletter!

African Violets: My Easy, Always-In-Bloom Program
Flowers to Brighten the Indoor Winter Garden
Fluorescent Setups & Culture

Comments

1. Violetqueen says:

Kevin, I grow lots of African violets under grow-lights in my basement. Maybe I should bring them upstairs, and put them to work!

Your photographs are really inspiring!

2. Gardenlady says:

Yes, that's a great way to make AVs earn “their keep.”

3. Samantha says:

I love all of your arrangements, but especially the top one. So lucious, with the grapes and fruit!

4. Yolanda says:

Kevin, I've been using the high phosphorous fertilizer you recommended, and boy is it working. My 8 standards are covered with flowers! Maybe I'll set them near the Christmas tree – where they will surely be noticed!

5. Yolanda – I'm delighted that the plant food worked for you!

6. Gregory says:

I have never seen AVs displayed so beautifully. Thank you for sharing these!

7. James says:

Wow, that top photo is incredible.

8. Anna says:

Dear Kevin,
    Will you tell me how to plant things?
    Anna

9. Hi, Anna! Nice to hear from you! You can grow African violets very easily. Just click on the September archives. There, you will find an article called “African Violets: My Easy, Always-In-Bloom Program.” It will tell you almost everything you need to know.

And, be sure to post often!

10. That's great idea using african violet like that. I never thought before. It's gorgeours arrangement. I learned from thoses pictures. Thanks

11. Montreal florist – thanks for stopping by. Glad you picked up a tip or two. Hope to see you here again!

12. Lee Carlson says:

I am going to get some high phosphorous fertilizer and start some new plants according to your directions. Love this blog.. You give all the info that is useful in everyday life. Thanks so much.

13. Marian says:

My pitiful African Violet , after following your instructions, is very healthy, happy and blooming profusely, with 3 sets of bud clusters to go!! Thank -you so much;-) I started 6 cuttings in January and will be patient.
    My next project- if I have the courage , is separation and re-potting.
    I have the desire to rescue from neglectful nurseries less fortunate African violets.
    Do I have the sickness?