Puffed Herb & Cheese Cocktail Appetizers

August 7, 2009

I’ve invented a new cocktail canape, one that is not only delicious, but decorative too. You might like to try these light and crispy “Puffed Herb & Cheese Cocktail Appetizers.” I’m amazed at the picturesque quality fresh herbs give to the rounds of pastry; a tiny sprig of cilantro, for instance, becomes a lacy green tree. Here’s the recipe:

Puffed Herb & Cheese Cocktail Appetizers
Ingredients for 2 dozen canapes
2 sheets (one box) frozen puff-pastry dough, thawed
One egg, beaten
Kosher salt
One 12-oz tub whipped cream cheese, blended with 4 tablespoons of finely snipped chives
Fresh herbs of your own choosing: cilantro, tarragon, parsley, rosemary, etc.

Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.

Prepare the pastry rounds: Unfold thawed pastry sheet, and lay it out on a lightly-floured board. Brush the dough with beaten egg, and then cut out one dozen rounds, using a buiscut-cutter. Place the rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat the same procedure with the second sheet of dough.

Decorate with herbs: Gently press small sprigs of herbs into rounds, making creative patterns with them whenever possible, as in the photo above. For tough-stemmed types, such as tarragon and rosemary, use tender leaves only. Sprinkle the rounds with Kosher salt.

Refrigerate: To insure the cut-out dough holds its shape for baking, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.

Baking: Set the baking sheet on the center oven rack, and bake for 15 minutes, until the pastry puffs up, and the tops become golden brown.

Whipped Cream Cheese & Chive Filling: When puffs have cooled, split them open with a knife, and fill each with a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese.

One of the advantages of these canapes is that you can make them in advance. Bake the pastry rounds early in the day, and fill with cream cheese 30 minutes before serving time. This way, all will be accomplished before your guests arrive.

Don’t miss anything at A Garden for the House…sign up for my weekly newsletter.

My Best Fried Green Tomatoes
It’s Cocktail Time: My Rose-Geranium Iced-Vodka
Food Fun: Savory Fried Sage Leaves

Comments

1. Andrew Thompson says:

Oooh…these look and sound delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

2. Justin says:

Kevin, these really do look good. Maybe I won't have to serve Pigs in a Blanket (with a ketchup dipping sauce) next time I invite friends over for drinks!

3. Andrew – you must try them, and report back!

Justin – LOL!

4. Holly says:

Hi Kevin, great blog. I'm curious – in the picture of the un-baked rounds, what are the herbs? I recognize the tarragon on the right, and the cilantro on the left.

5. Grace says:

Yes, this would make a beautiful presentation for a formal affair. It's also a great way to use a bunch of herbs, either fresh from the garden or the farmer's market.

6. Randy J says:

So Kevin….what time are cocktails? These really look beautiful!

7. Randy – We should make these the next time we have a “Garden Evening.”

8. Judy says:

Yum! I'm coming over — right now! If I can't eat cream cheese can you recommend another cheese instead? Perhaps ricotta?

9. Judy – I think ricotta would be a superior substitute for cream cheese! Not mixed with chives, necessarily, but perhaps with fresh (or dried) oregano. Mmmm…I can taste it now.

10. Holly – first, welcome! Next, sorry for the delayed response.

In the center rows are basil (left) and parsley (right).

11. Lucille says:

Kevin, These look wonderful. I am going to serve them to my garden club..

12. Lucille says:

Hi Kevin..I need a recipe for shortbread ..do you have a good one…I searched for my Great Aunt Sade's, but lost it when moving….love all your recipes…Merry and Happy Holidays..Lucille